Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think about the Mirage / Space Star suspension and handling?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it handles the bumps very well for a small car! My spine says "thank you" after every trip. I'd been driving bone jarring old beaters for quite a few years so I am definitely happy with it. I haven't really pushed it on corners yet, but it seems fine for regular driving so far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Somebody please ship me the front stabilizer kit
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satria_wr View Post
    Somebody please ship me the front stabilizer kit
    Never mind, I just found out that it's was an option here in Indonesia
    US$ 130 approx.
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    It certainly is a little soft, but its OK with me.

My neighbour has a 2CV, and its nowhere like it. The 2CV rolls like a camel in the desert. Makes you sea-sick if you are are not used to it. Also frightens some folks half to death in curves, because they think its going to tip over, what it of course does not do.

I would rather have the same 165 tyres with 5J-14 instead of 4 1/2J-14 rims, plus zero rear camber.
    Also, the steering could be a bit less sticky. That would allow the natural self-centering to work, and also help me from developing tendonitis from long drives. The excessive stickyness is what regularly gets me a case of tendonitis.
    Last edited by foama; 09-20-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    I think it handles the bumps very well for a small car! My spine says "thank you" after every trip. I'd been driving bone jarring old beaters for quite a few years so I am definitely happy with it. I haven't really pushed it on corners yet, but it seems fine for regular driving so far.
    Bingo !

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My wife and I went and bought some groceries yesterday. We bought a total of $240 worth of groceries so I had to put the back seats down to put it all in there. There was a LOT of weight in the car since a lot of what we bought was drinks, cat litter, canned food, and other heavy items. On top of that, the extra storage area I built is full of heavy items as well (tools, air compressor, CB radio, and a few other items) so the rear suspension was sagging quit a bit. The top of the back tires were level with the top of the wheel opening on the body of the car.

I've looked into air shocks for the back of the car but there are none available that are long enough with the correct mounting capabilities. So I am looking at rubber coil spring inserts to help to stiffen the rear suspension in order to help deal with the extra weight that I occasionally have in the car.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Some trivia: this is the second time I've come across statements about steering & handling being better sorted in the Mirage sedan than in the hatch:

It's just a pity Mitsubishi hasn't upgraded the steering and the suspension on the Mirage hatch, to bring it up to the same standard as the sedan.
    http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...a-review-30917

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think for speeds between 0-35 mph the suspension is great. It's comfy, it is agile, its really easy to place because of the short overhangs, and anyone one the fence about the Mirage should whip a u-turn. The thing is amazing at u-turns. You can tell that Mitsubushi designed it as a city car. However, it under-steers like a pig at higher speeds. The short wheelbase makes the car wallow around on it's tall and soft suspention, and I really think a rear roll bar is needed.

My front tires have way more wear crawling up the edges than the rears do, so I will be getting a rear bar. I am hoping that makes higher speeds and corners more fun, since it's a shame when a 2000lb car can't corner well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallawallaman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-09-2017)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    I have de 2017 (europe specs) model with 175/55/15" wheels i think the suspension its to soft but in a strange way, to much vertical movement, but if you pass through a hole or a bump you ear a bang, i think because the springs are to soft and the shocks hard. My last car (Smart Forfour) had a very good behavoir it had larger wheels and harder and larger springs and shocks, diferent than those of the colt (they shared 60% of the parts.
    I think the mitsubishi its strange in corners (fast or slow) not only because it leans but the steering its not fast and precise, sometimes i feel it strange at some steering wheel angles. I had a Citroën 2cv and sometimes i curved faster than with other cars, you know why??... Because dispite leaning a lot you always know where the wheels where pointing... No electric power steering.