Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whine in 3rd gear?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll probably switch to the Redline after a while, that seems to be the best gear oil available. 75w80 definitely isn't a common weight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

I do hear a light whine in 3rd in the loaner 5-speed Mirage I'm driving this week & next.

It's almost as though the gears are cut slightly different. Straighter cut gears make more noise than angle cut, but they're also more efficient. Maybe the upper 3 gears are straighter cut (but you don't hear 4th & 5th over tire/road/wind noise). How's that for a theory?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I do hear a light whine in 3rd in the loaner 5-speed Mirage I'm driving this week & next.

It's almost as though the gears are cut slightly different. Straighter cut gears make more noise than angle cut, but they're also more efficient. Maybe the upper 3 gears are straighter cut (but you don't hear 4th & 5th over tire/road/wind noise). How's that for a theory?
    I believe the theory, It doesnt sound like anything it wrong, Just noticed it. Can't hear it under hard acceleration, mostly just when maintaining a low speed in 3rd. Not too worried about it, was just curious.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    From the day I drove it off the lot I've noticed this noise from second, into third, and sometimes fourth gear in mine. It reminds me of a heavy-duty truck transmission straight-cut gears as MetroMPG suggests.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    My car has that wine also but not always and it usually goes away after a couple of miles driving down the highway and all the oils are at the correct temperature.
    My car does it in all gears, not just in 3rd.
    Last edited by thecrow1981; 10-21-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am retracting my statement.
    It's not a whine between 2.5-3.2ish rpms - it's an engine rattle.

This seems to be directly related to the dyno image in one of the other threads.
    During these RPMs, it seems there is a dip in power. During this time, 3rd/4th/5th gears there is some bad rattle.
    However, the rattle fades about 3.2ish rpms.