Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking a road trip (in a rental Mirage)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Taking a road trip (in a rental Mirage)

I have discovered that I can rent a Mirage here in Winnipeg. I plan to rent one for a day and take it out on the highway to experience for myself all the engine, road, and wind noise the reviewers frequently note. I am also interested in the feel/stability of the car at speed when encountering wind and passing trucks. Finally the comfort of seats over a few hours is also something I am curious about. I will of course pay attention to the fuel use on the MID, bring my ScanGauge for a second opinion, and fill up at the beginning/end of the journey to calculate an actual result.

Unfortunately I will be renting the SE model (top spec, CVT), but I assume the ride/handling/noise will all be similar, and I've already test-driven the manual in the city.

Any other suggestions of things to pay attention to? Any requests?

*note - I had no destination in mind, but found a brochure that was a guide to bakeries around the province that feature cinnamon buns, so that will be the theme.

http://admin.getawaysinmanitoba.ca/F...2_brochure.pdf

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Cinnamon bun road trip! Pick me up on the way.

On the noise issue, keep in mind that you're likely to get a louder experience from the CVT drivetrain than the manual under sustained high loads. (Because the engine will sit at/near its power peak while accelerating, vs. rise & fall.)

Comparison of the SG/tank/MID = excellent idea.

When's the big trip?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Too bad you can't rent for a longer period of time. For the first 10 or so hours I thought the Mirage was rather squirrelly on the highway, however at 150+ hours in the Mirage the car seems nice and steady.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just picked it up and am heading out tomorrow. I could rent for longer, but didn't see the need.

So far, after several city blocks of intensive testing . . . well . . . inconclusive (really, 10 minute trip!). For a brief moment I thought "this CVT thing is pretty nice" but that quickly faded. CVT accelerated acceptably well, and is pretty smooth, especially at low rpms. I test drove the Manual, though, and much prefer it - it is disconcerting how the CVT wants to keep going as I press the brake, and the acceleration doesn't "feel" consistent (i.e. 10% more on the gas pedal may give you 10% more speed or 5% or 15% - not a direct relationship, it seemed). In traffic, sight-lines were good and dodging pot-holes was easy - I found the handling to be not precise, exactly, but very light/easy/predictable at the speeds I was going (under 60km/h). There was absolutely no "learning curve" or feeling of having to be extra careful not to bump things - it is very clear where the car ends. Interior space so far was quite acceptable, though I am not a large person.

Tomorrow, I will post again, and possibly contradict everything I have just said - that's the thing with first impressions - lots of chances to make new ones! There will also be a bonus review of at least one bakery.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-07-2014)

That's OK, I can't come on your cinnamon bun tour anyway. Boiling up another batch of maple syrup at the moment...

Looking forward to your second impressions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: what rental company is it? Maybe I can check in on them around here too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    PS: what rental company is it? Maybe I can check in on them around here too.
    Enterprise Rent-a-Car - unlimited km if I stay in the province, $18 comprehensive insurance, decent price of $35, and the guy told me weekend deals are even better. He also noted that it has been rented many times, and has been very well received by his customers. He mentioned that no one had any complaints yet.

They don't usually promise a specific make/model, but were very helpful when I told them what I wanted and was flexible on the dates. I took it out again this evening around town and it is growing on me. Anything done at a reasonable pace works as well as any other car. An "emergency" lane change does cause the car to lean a lot and lose some of its confident grace, but it gets there without any ill effect. Brakes stop it and the gas makes it go with no unpleasant surprises. I have no complaints either, at this point.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Bakery ! They have 1/2 moons ?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I found once on a interstate going 65 that C.V.T. glides making for less effort to remain at a steady speed w/o having to apply the gas all that much .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a spirited driver, I'd hate to be driving a CVT around. I just can't see any good reason to drive a CVT other than you're a lazy f*ck.

That's why I'm pissed at all these reviewers reviewing a ****ing CVT.