Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelin Defender 175 /65-14 : could these be used

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Of course I wait to mention these tires until AFTER I take them off the car- but yeah, I'll see if I can get a picture or two for you guys. I can take one or two of the tire on the rim, as well.

Seemed to work pretty well in our massive amounts of snow we had in Canada, and the Himalayas are studdable (for next winter) as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Resident Tire Engineer checking in here. Unless you are comparing Company and Line side by side (i.e. Dunlop Enasave 165 to 175) you are in for a complete crapshoot. Those measurements are more of a suggestion than gospel, and different brands just run completely differently (much like shoes) and sometimes you will even find sizing different among lines in the same company (i.e. Goodyear Viva vs. Eagle)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!

But seriously how are these tires? i'm really liking the idea of long life tires and these seem to be the best user reviewed ones in that category.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Defenders don't have that great of wet traction, so they'd be best suited in dry climates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You are so right. I notice the Michellins are really thick on the side wall and the thread is way deeper then any other tire I have seen. Not just that but much heavier. In my case they run 5lbs heavier it seems. Also the other brands and especially the side walls are really thin and build like crap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    All the guys I've talked to that have run Defenders seem to like them a fair amount (which are mostly guys who drive to get good fuel mileage).
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Resident Tire Engineer checking in here. Unless you are comparing Company and Line side by side (i.e. Dunlop Enasave 165 to 175) you are in for a complete crapshoot. Those measurements are more of a suggestion than gospel, and different brands just run completely differently (much like shoes) and sometimes you will even find sizing different among lines in the same company (i.e. Goodyear Viva vs. Eagle)
    This could not be more TRUE!! I have a 13" wide rim on the back of the car in my avatar. I am running a 345 Michelin Cup tire. If I switched brands to "Pirelli" I would have to go up to a 375 for the tire to fit the same 13" wheel! When you get into extremely wide tires you start to see who fibs on the actual size of the tire. I hate that and wish it was regulated and governed so that they would all have to do an exact measurement and quit the BS numbers game!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Michelin specs this size tire as fitting on a MINIMUM 5" width rim. Our stock rims are 4.5" wide. Does anyone see any problems with this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by randysmirage View Post
    Michelin specs this size tire as fitting on a MINIMUM 5" width rim. Our stock rims are 4.5" wide. Does anyone see any problems with this?
    Resident Tire Engineer checking in again here. To answer your question, and others here... I see no issues running the Michelin 175. I looked up the data on these and compared them to the Enasaves, and they are very similar. The two points where tire size matters are Section Width (tread width is irrelevant really) and OD.

The Section Width comparison:
    Enasave - 6.7"
    Defender - 7"

OD:
    Enasave - 22.4"
    Defender - 23"

The treadwear rating alone makes the Defender a hard tire to pass up... 820!!!

I'm not always a huge fan of Michelin from a ride and handling perspective, but there is no disputing their quality. If you want a tire that will last forever, and wear dead flat even the Michelin is the way to go.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

randysmirage (06-19-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I guess it's winter again- I could finally upload a pic once I change over

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)