Thread: Cargo Volume?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Cargo Volume?

Fueleconomy.gov lists the Mirage cargo volume at 17 cubic feet, which is the same as the new Honda Fit. The Mitsubishi USA site also lists 17 cubic feet.

While I haven't seen the new Fit, and the old one was 21 cubic feet, I cannot imagine they are the same size. With the seats in their upright position, the Mirage hatch is not particularly large, and some have called the Fit a small station wagon.

Could they be measuring differently?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fit may not have the boot as deep as the mirage?

I've noticed oddities in the cargo volume specs too.

Having a look at the Honda and Mitsu sites in the UK:

- 379 L (13.4 cu. ft) for the Jazz (Fit) with rear seats upright

- 235 L (8.29) for the Mirage, "minimum capacity" (rear seats up)

So they're not even close at the minimum. The difference I expect would be even greater at the maximum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We have an '11 FIT , like the magic seats . Be nice if the rear seats were like that of the Ford Festiva and 1st generation AVEO where they fold forward against the back of the front seats . Put a new love seat in the FESTIVA with no problem .

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Pictures

This is sort of interesting - this link has a slide show demonstrating how golf bags fit in the Mirage. Seems the 17 cubic feet spec is accurate?!

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...rgo-space.html

On a related note I took a look at the new Fit and it is indeed what they claimed - much better for rear seat passengers, and commensurately worse for seat-up-cargo (they robbed Peter to pay Paul 5").

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've been watching the Honda Forum and reading more about cargo volume. The debate over there is how much the Fit changed from 2013-2015 as the redesign increased rear leg room at the expense of seat-up cargo room.

That's where I found this interesting article which basically says that the method of determining cargo volume is not consistent among manufacturers, and therefore not particularly useful. The Honda is about a foot longer overall, and a bit bigger all around, so it stands to reason that the cargo/passenger volume should be a bit higher.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...the-truth.html

This also throws a wrench into my efficiency/economy comparison thread. If the sizes are not measured in the same way, all bets are off!
    Last edited by Canoehead; 10-14-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Go for the sedan Attrage 450 L.