Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpgmirage15 View Post
    It has 31k
    Hm - that's not a lot of miles on a clutch.

engagement point is super high maybe an inch from the fully released. Does anyone know if that's the factory setting?
    What are your results when you check you clutch pedal free play? The service instructions for this have been posted in this thread.

I do believe this has worn out the throw out bearing because it is hard to put in gear when parked and off. Thanks in advance! I'm sure this wouldn't be cover by the bumper to bumper warranty.
    Can you provide more details on what you mean by hard to put in gear? It is not unusual to have difficulty trying to engage first gear while moving and same with reverse either stationary or while moving.

I'm not sure what part of Ohio you live in but if you are in the Cleveland area, I'd be happy to lend a hand. I believe we have a some members who live in the Columbus area as well. And of course there's always your friendly Mitsubishi dealer who would be willing to help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    I just did this. While the car is off, I did try to turn the knob left or right then tried to press on the clutch. Actually its much easier since you can feel how much free play you get before the clutch engagement.
    Hey mitsumi how's your clutch adjustment holding up?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey mitsumi how's your clutch adjustment holding up?
    Looks good to me, having no issues at all. I can shift through gears smoothly and had my long drive after changing the cable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was afraid to do this adjustment but am glad I did. The clutch is more responsive and the drive much more enjoyable now.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm curious. Anyone know the diameter of the clutch on a Mirage? For comparison a F1 clutch is about a large palm sized.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hi guys. The plastic nut on my clutch cable wont budge clockwise or counter clockwise. If im reading the op’s post correctly, it could be done by hand? With no tools? Am i right to assume this?

My clutch is already slipping and i want to try if it just needs cable adjustment (crossing fingers).

Do i need to detach the cable from the clutch pedal first? I assume spraying wd40 would help?

Its been a long time since ive adjusted a clutch cable lol last time i think was in the 90’s with a late 70’s toyota, but i can remember using a 2 wrenches to do that. Thanks
    Last edited by GooneyGooney; 02-21-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GooneyGooney View Post
    Hi guys. The plastic nut on my clutch cable wont budge clockwise or counter clockwise. If im reading the op’s post correctly, it could be done by hand? With no tools? Am i right to assume this?

My clutch is already slipping and i want to try if it just needs cable adjustment (crossing fingers).

Do i need to detach the cable from the clutch pedal first? I assume spraying wd40 would help?

Its been a long time since ive adjusted a clutch cable lol last time i think was in the 90’s with a late 70’s toyota, but i can remember using a 2 wrenches to do that. Thanks
    Hey GooneyGooney welcome back long time no see.

Have you tried following the instructions from the service manual? They were posted here in this thread. The adjustment can be done by hand - no tools and no lubricants should be needed. The adjusting nut is held by what Mitsubishi is calling a bushing protrusion, which keeps things in place. Did you move the cable housing away from the bushing to allow adjustment?

You'll have to catch us up with how Sir Cheap is holding up for you. What is the odometer reading? Could you give an update for your Garage entry?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Thank you for the very warm welcome sir! ;-)

Aha! I just tried to rotate it outright sir :-) this bushing protrusion is/was alien to me. No wonder it wont budge lol. How do i remove it to free up the plastic nut though? Im afraid i might break it. This was never taught to us in baking class edit: just looked at the pic, did not read the text below it haha #facepalm

Regarding sircheap: Ive since changed a radiator fan motor, it went kaput at approx 35000 km odo , now im at almost 45000 km and the clutch is slipping. Aircon system also is very much due for cleaning but ill probably have it serviced after the clutch is sorted out (cant believe the entire dash needs to be pulled out to access the evaporator). Im also still on my original stock tires, i probably need to change them too as sircheap is almost 5 years old.

Other than that, the engine still runs very good, idles good, paint is still shiny although with tiny rock chips here and there (ive painted over them using nail polish lol.... and its still loud inside the cabin haha.
    Last edited by GooneyGooney; 02-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GooneyGooney View Post
    Thank you for the very warm welcome sir! ;-)

Aha! I just tried to rotate it outright sir :-) this bushing protrusion is/was alien to me. No wonder it wont budge lol. How do i remove it to free up the plastic nut though? Im afraid i might break it. This was never taught to us in baking class edit: just looked at the pic, did not read the text below it haha #facepalm

Regarding sircheap: Ive since changed a radiator fan motor, it went kaput at approx 35000 km odo , now im at almost 45000 km and the clutch is slipping. Aircon system also is very much due for cleaning but ill probably have it serviced after the clutch is sorted out (cant believe the entire dash needs to be pulled out to access the evaporator). Im also still on my original stock tires, i probably need to change them too as sircheap is almost 5 years old.

Other than that, the engine still runs very good, idles good, paint is still shiny although with tiny rock chips here and there (ive painted over them using nail polish lol.... and its still loud inside the cabin haha.
    I was going offer the opinion you must drive your car like you stole it, 7000rpm launches, WOT shifts, etc. until i saw you have the original tires still, at 45000kms. Those two things don't go together.

Do you ride the clutch? That's the fastest way I know to bugger up the face and fool you into thinking your clutch is failing, or just an adjustment will fix things up. The only fix is to get the glazing off the clutch friction faces. The adjustment Mits allows is more for driver preference than anything else. Earlier or later engagement won't cure any problem with the friction faces unless you screw it up and don't allow your clutch to fully engage. Then your clutch will glaze up and die in no time.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Adjusted my clutch today, and referred here for a 10 second orientation first. Thanks, Alpha!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)