Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    If I understand correctly (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the term 'free play' describes the distance the clutch pedal travels from where it rests at it's top of travel until noticeable resistance is felt as the pedal is pushed down. This free play ensures the clutch is fully engaged as much as it can and in turn avoids slipping.

The good news is as long as the instructions in step 3 are followed, free play is inherently adjusted to it's correct setting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (02-01-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Does this apply to our mirage? it looks like its the same procedure on what he did with the clutch cable

After a lot of R&D, I finally figured out that by tightening or loosening the clutch cable, the clutch free play can be easily adjusted to as to calibrate at what point in the movement of the pedal the clutch will engage. This cable is attached to a nut beneath the car, near the Front Left wheel, and by turning this nut, the cable can be tightened or loosened.

The basic rule is that turning the nut clockwise tightens the cable, and turning it anti-clockwise loosens the cable. The clockwise and anti-clockwise orientation is considered when the nut is looked at from the front side of the car.

If the clutch engages too late, then the cable is too tight. If the clutch engages too early, then the cable is too loose. Accordingly, adjustments can be made.

When an adjustment is made, the free play of the pedal changes, and this can be felt simply by depressing the cable. No need to start the car. Hence, it is best if two people can do this. One can make the adjustments, while the other sits in the car and gives feedback regarding the setting.

Important Caution: This must never be done with the engine on, to prevent bodily injury.

Note: This applies for Cable operated clutch only. For a hydraulic clutch, I don't think this is applicable.
    source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ruti-alto.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Does this apply to our mirage? it looks like its the same procedure on what he did with the clutch cable
    What you posted sounds about right, though I wouldn't rely on it.

Try using the instructions Mitsubishi has provided. When I did mine I was surprised at how easy it is. Have you tried it yet?

The funny part is you've already done the hardest part in replacing your clutch cable. This final adjustment is very easy in comparison. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (02-01-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @Eggman
    When it comes to changing parts etc. or hardware related it excites me but when I encounter anything bout adjustments or tinkering on something that I don't know makes me feel im stupid haha. Im just making sure that im doing the right thing to avoid this instance again.

Actually, I haven't tried to adjust it yet because of my busy schedule. Tomorrow is Saturday and have no work so i'll have plenty of time adjusting this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    just an update. I already made it work. and justed my clutch back. I did some drive test and its like from before.

BTW, im still wondering if the my clutch adjustment is correct. When you drive test it once the cable is installed and adjusted, do you have to test the gears upto 5th gear? or as long as you can switch gears correctly it'll be fine?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    just an update. I already made it work. and justed my clutch back. I did some drive test and its like from before.
    Nice. So, how did it go? Can you describe what you did to adjust your clutch?

BTW, im still wondering if the my clutch adjustment is correct. When you drive test it once the cable is installed and adjusted, do you have to test the gears upto 5th gear? or as long as you can switch gears correctly it'll be fine?
    Basically, yes if you can switch gears correctly you have a good start. I'll try to find some way of helping you better understand what's going on here...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's some videos that should help explain what a clutch does for you.

This first short video explains the throwout bearing for the clutch. If I understand correctly, this bearing is typically designed for short, intermittent use. This video demonstrates why clutch pedal free play adjustment is important.

If there is no free play in the clutch pedal, it will apply continuous pressure to the throwout bearing and cause it to wear out very quickly.

This video gives more information about a clutch assembly. Though I think he leaves out some details, he covers the basics.

This video gives more details though I'm not fond of it's delivery (or spelling lol.) Still, it's helpful for our purposes.

I hope these videos help you understand how a clutch works and in turn, help you set things up properly. If you follow the Mitsubishi Mirage service manual instructions for clutch adjustment, you should be in good shape.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-05-2018),MetroMPG (03-30-2023),mitsumi (02-04-2018),Top_Fuel (06-23-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @Eggman
    When an adjustment is made, the free play of the pedal changes, and this can be felt simply by depressing the cable. No need to start the car.
    I just did this. While the car is off, I did try to turn the knob left or right then tried to press on the clutch. Actually its much easier since you can feel how much free play you get before the clutch engagement.

Also as per the diagram from the manual I did try to pull the cable to the right when I adjusted the cable. On my part, I had that odd feeling when I try to have much gap of free play. If you have plenty of free play it feels like the clutch wouldn't engage thats why I tried to bring back the old feel that I had the first time I drive the car. Not too high and not too low.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm glad to hear that you got it figured out!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (02-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deleted user View Post
    POINT, bad adjustment can wear out the throw out bearing. I checked mine by pulling on the cable. At about a half inch deflection, I could hear the release bearing hit the fingers of the pressure plate. If you have moved the engagement point to high, it will cause the bearing to be touching the pressure plate's engagement point. The bearing is supposed to be stationary when you let off the pedal completely.

regards
    mech
    Great post. Just bought my car less than a month ago. It has 31k engagement point is super high maybe an inch from the fully released. Does anyone know if that's the factory setting? I do believe this has worn out the throw out bearing because it is hard to put in gear when parked and off. Thanks in advance! I'm sure this wouldn't be cover by the bumper to bumper warranty.

Better MPG saves the environment and me money!