Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering off centre

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks

Steering off centre

Hi guys

I just wondered; driving in a completely straight line on a completely straight road; anyone here find that their steering wheel is off centre by a couple of degrees? eg if you put the steering wheel straight centre on a straight road, you go off to one side?

I've heard anecdotal evidence, when I mentioned this to dealer, that a number of their Mirage's have come in with this flaw. Not sure if limited to the right hand drive market (so any Aussies on here might be able to comment) but any thoughts welcome.

Until the anecdotal comment, I was thinking perhaps the previous owner (as I bought mine at 1 year old) had perhaps driven it into a pothole or similar perhaps knocking the steering out slightly; however I'm now minded to think it could be a warranty issue. If it had come like that on delivery, I wouldn't have been best pleased!

Cheers

Pilchardfish

This sounds to me like a simple alignment issue: Pothole or curb bump by a previous driver sounds most likely, as you say.

I believe all the cars get run on a rolling road/dyno at the factory (see the assembly video I posted this week) for quality control, which would make it pretty easy to spot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks
    Yeah hopefully it's minor to correct; was just strange that dealer said they were coming in like this generally straight from the factory ...

I wonder if the anecdotes were really referring to the car's weak 'self-centering' design.

Do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?

A number of people have complained about this. Somewhat similar...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Oh... the dealer himself was saying this??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Metro: that's what I gathered from OPs post.

There was a time when I put my aftermarket wheels on that I thought the steering was out of center.

I'll check it again today.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Confirmed. My steering wheel is off-centered.

To go straight, my SW is turned a little to the left. Thus, if I center my SW, the car weaves to the right.

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks
    Interesting thanks for your post. I think this is unrelated to the self centreing issue and is an issue of its own.

I wonder if anyone else has this problem? It strikes me as a potential recall issue if they're pouring out of the factory with misaligned steering wheels ... I might contact MMUK and see if they've any comment. In the meantime would be useful if any other people could comment if when driving in a straight line the steering wheel is off centre or if the car goes to the right when steering wheel is straight.

Cheers for replies

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Could it be something to do with road camber?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilchardfish View Post
    Interesting thanks for your post. I think this is unrelated to the self centreing issue and is an issue of its own.
    What issue is this?