Thread: Egr?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Egr?

The 1.2L 3A92 Factory Service Manual explains practically everything, but there is no mention of EGR!

I have a 1.0L 3A90 model, but only the manual for the 1.2L 3A92.
    Mine and several other 1.0L 3A90 suffered stuck open intake valves, some repeatedly. There is another thread about it on this forum.

A dealer told me the European 1.0L AS&G model has EGR, but the 1.0L non-AS&G has no EGR. He also claimed the 1,2L 3A92 has EGR, that being a conventional EGR system with a conventional EGR-canal through the cylinder head. The sort most cars have.

Makes me wonder if that makes any sense, and if that guy know what he is talking about.

Question:

Can it be, that EGR is introduced by the large overlap of intake/exhaust-valves, rather than having a conventional EGR valve working on a conventional dedicated EGR-canal ???

Btw: I would greatly appreciate a A390 Manual, or anything official about EGR in the 3A90. Maybe something out of the official manual?

Last edited by foama; 05-07-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yes, you can have EGR without having an EGR system. It is caused by early closing of the exhaust valve which keeps some exhaust gas in the cylinder. This is called internal EGR.

Sadly, we have very little info on the 3A90.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At least in the US, the 1.2L has no EGR valve, because they have the variable valve timing to satisfy emissions requirements.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)