Thread: ES Push button start.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

ES Push button start.

I got my Mirage yesterday, its the KIWI Green ES model with 5 speed. I absolutely love the car. They Tinted the windows so i cant roll them down for 3 days so i have the auto temp set at 78. Hwy and back country roads with engine on coasting i am getting well over the dealer estimate. 58 Mpg avg. I am on the dealers tank so this is just what it is saying. wont really know till i top it off and do a full tank run but i can see 60+ with this car just running the back roads of east Texas.

But now here is my question. I tried to cut the engine off with the push button start while i was in Neutral and coasting and it wouldn't do it. is that a safety thing? being able to do that would really push the mpg possibilities to a really high number.

thanks for reading
    Don

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congrats Don! Please make a garage entry so you can show off your new wheels.

I can't help you with the push button start issue. Hopefully someone else can chime in. If all else fails, adding a kill switch is IMO a great mod if you're going to be doing a lot of engine off coasting.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Don (05-01-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    But now here is my question. I tried to cut the engine off with the push button start while i was in Neutral and coasting and it wouldn't do it. is that a safety thing? being able to do that would really push the mpg possibilities to a really high number.
    Page 5-18, upper right box says to bring the engine to an emergency stop, press and hold the button for 3 seconds, or press it quickly 3 times or more. I've got an ES 5 speed but am too chicken to try that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Don (05-01-2015),MetroMPG (05-05-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Page 5-18, upper right box says to bring the engine to an emergency stop, press and hold the button for 3 seconds, or press it quickly 3 times or more. I've got an ES 5 speed but am too chicken to try that.
    Thanks Daox and wellswebdesign. I dont like the idea of mashing the start button 3 times or 3 seconds. then on the restart i would need to push the button enough to get the instruments working again. I have a Kill switch in my 81 rabbit diesel. but i dont think i want to put one in a new car. partly for fear of it messing with the computer when the car stops running and the computer thinks it should be still running. I will just stick with engine on coasting for a while.

and will try to get the garage up in the next day or so. i need to get a picture on my computer so i can have it as my avatar.

thanks again for the reply's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I went ahead and tryed the push button emergency engine stop. Works like a charm. It leaves you in accessory mode so your dash gauges are still reading. I restarted the car with just pushing the clutch in and hitting the push start again. I tried it on our driveway, it is fairly long so it was a safe place to try it. So just messing around today i have the mpgs showing on the B AVG mpg at 62+

Crazy lol gonna love this car. it looks to me like the push button start will work perfectly as a kill switch as well. it does stop the assisted steering and the brake booster but it is something you have to be ready for so you can plan ahead. I am disabled so i don't actually drive alot so a tank will take me a while. Also I understand hypermiling on back roads. but on HWY i am not sure what best to do other than drive slow.

thanks in advance, Don

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-05-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice, glad it works well. I'm still too chicken.

It's my daily driver and I still only fill up every 10-14 days so far. Just got home, 65mph, cruise control on the interstate, and got a nice 47.5mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Don (05-01-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    that is fantastic mpg Wellswebdesign.

I dont do much HWY driving. more on backroads. I am disabled so i drive when the roads aren't busy. I carry a mirror with me to help me check to the left and right because i cant turn my head. the mirror really helps. I am amazed that the AC doesn't pull the engine down. I have mine set at 78. I have to leave the windows up for a couple more days so the Tint can bond correctly to the windows then i will see what its like to drive with the ac off. The little 5 speeds are peppy. and The eco mode light stays on even at pretty high rpms. I cant find any flaws in this car so far. i just love it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Nice, glad it works well. I'm still too chicken.

It's my daily driver and I still only fill up every 10-14 days so far. Just got home, 65mph, cruise control on the interstate, and got a nice 47.5mpg.
    I used to be too chicken because I thought that if i got it wrong, I might engage a steering lock!

Then I came to believe the keyless ignition cars ( or mime anyway) don't have a steering lock. I started a thread on this.

Anyway no problems as a result of shutting the engine off while moving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mpaton For This Useful Post:

Don (05-02-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will be doing it again today. (haven't driven since yesterday) I think the warranty would cover any push button start/stop issues better than they would the clutch and pressure plate. I know they told me that the clutch pressure plate and throw-out bearing are not covered in the warranty.

With the motor running when engaging the clutch then the pressure plate should have less stress on it. I am not saying there is much stress on it . just that i like lessening the chances of any problems. I am glad the start stop button works like this because i didn't want to have to do a kill switch.