Thread: Might be back sooner than later

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Might be back sooner than later

Its been years since I owned one of these (2013). Got a new job with a big commute and now possible in the market for one of these used. Hopefully in a few months. I notice manuals have been stopped being made. Are the CVTs bad? ( I do prefer the newer facelift). any years to look for? thanks for any input. Will spend time trying to read info that this forum has gathered over the years.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    2017 + has bigger brakes & better suspension, so I'm told. CVT's fine but maintain it... 2017 has a couple more HP so that makes it a rocket ship...Other then that, pretty much the same as your old car. Hang on for the Pro's tho, as I'm sure there is more you need to know!!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-19-2024),mohammad (01-18-2024),socal6g (01-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    klroger is correct - The 2017+ models ARE rockets ... especially the blue ones. The +4 hp will absolutely propel you to victory!

I'd go for any 2017 - 2019 with a manual HVAC, 5-speed preferred if you can drive one (sounds like your 2013 may have been a 5-speed).

The 2020 (like mine) went to R134yf ... and I'd prefer to have the R134a of the previous years. That's my take.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Welcome back!

2017+ also have larger brakes all around and the drums seem to be easier to source. Cheaper too. Different spring or shock rates on the 2017+ as well. They all drive the same to me once they have over 60k miles on them.

Cvt's can last if maintained but sometimes it's luck of the draw. I have seen one just make noise out of the blue with under 40k miles on it but it was replaced under warranty. Like anything there are the odd lemons but even just changing the fluid once in a while helps them last. Highest mileage cvt in the fleet has 530k km/330k miles. Most Mirages in the fleet have over 400k km/250k miles.

Automagic heater controls work fine, I've never seen or heard of a failure. Manual are nice to have so you don't have to scroll through the modes though.

The only flaw that I can think of with the 17+ is the exhaust rattles over time from one or two of the rubber exhaust hangers wearing out but it's easy fix with a zip tie or tape.

I'd maybe not go newer than 2019 just cause 2020s started using the pricey y1234 refrigerant, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-18-2024 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Wrong year for 1234...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins - I agree that my "automatic" hvac produces hot air and cold air just fine. It's the idiotic setup of the controls that burns my arse. While at Hyundai, one of my jobs was to evaluate competitors "Features and Controls," and make elaborate ratings (compared to the equivalent Hyundai-Kia models), and make presentations to the whole damn plant about it. I saw a lot of good, and a lot of bad. Being somewhat of an expert on such features and controls in a vehicle, the auto hvac controls logic in the Mirage is poo, while the performance of the system is fine.

As for the R134yf, my 2020 is R134yf, but I was thinking the 2019 model in the U.S. was R134a. Perhaps I'm wrong. Or maybe you guys up yonder got the yf 1 year sooner? Which if so, means that the inevitable total environmental annihilation will come to Canada 1 year after it comes to the U.S. At least you guys will have a 1 year notice of your impending dooms.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fummins - I agree that my "automatic" hvac produces hot air and cold air just fine. It's the idiotic setup of the controls that burns my arse. While at Hyundai, one of my jobs was to evaluate competitors "Features and Controls," and make elaborate ratings (compared to the equivalent Hyundai-Kia models), and make presentations to the whole damn plant about it. I saw a lot of good, and a lot of bad. Being somewhat of an expert on such features and controls in a vehicle, the auto hvac controls logic in the Mirage is poo, while the performance of the system is fine.

As for the R134yf, my 2020 is R134yf, but I was thinking the 2019 model in the U.S. was R134a. Perhaps I'm wrong. Or maybe you guys up yonder got the yf 1 year sooner? Which if so, means that the inevitable total environmental annihilation will come to Canada 1 year after it comes to the U.S. At least you guys will have a 1 year notice of your impending dooms.
    You're right. I fixed my post. 2020 is the first for 1234 in North America.

I hate the automagic Kia heater controls. On the wife's 20' trash can Sorento and previous 15 Optima the fan would set it self to 3/4 every single time you start it up regardless of what it was previously set to, even with the automagic setting disabled. I'm convinced they made it do this to try and mask engine knocking or other strange noises on startup. I prefer to be able to hear if it's knocking or not, and having -30c air blowing in your face isn't well though out either.

My only complaint with the Mirage controls is to go from Defrost to Defrost and floor you have to cycle through the options while staring at the tiny screen. It usually takes 4-5 pushes to get it there unless you miss the one you want then have to do it over. First world problems...I believe the automagic controls offer at least one extra fan speed choice? Might be wrong on that though.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-18-2024 at 02:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm convinced they made it do this to try and mask engine knocking or other strange noises on startup.
    I would think you were wrong, if I hadn't worked for Hyundai-Kia. But after having worked there, you just don't know how very possible that is. As far as their engineering prowess, they are liars and they are schemers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    My only complaint with the Mirage controls is to go from Defrost to Defrost and floor you have to cycle through the options while staring at the tiny screen. It usually takes 4-5 pushes to get it there unless you miss the one you want then have to do it over.
    My issue is similar. When I get in the car with the engine cold and the environment cold, I want hot air as quickly as I can get it. I don't function well if my nukular core temperature begins to drop, even a little. Conversly, I get warm quickly. So when it is very cold, I push the temp button 3,000 times to put it at 89. Then 5 minutes later when I'm warming up, I push the temp down button 3,000 times to put it down to 75. Then I have to push it down some more because set at 75, it is blowing out super heated air. Then down some more, and down some more, still blowing out super heated air. I'm guessing there's a sensor in the face of the hvac. And if it is cold enough the sensor might sense that the temperature is below 62°F. So, when it's cold, but the cab has warmed up for me, and I set it down to 63, it still might be blowing super heated air, because the sensor says it's colder than that. It's not until it is set at 62, will the friggin thing stop blowing super heated air. Then it drops to cold air, which is too cold, so I have to ease it back up until I start feeling less cold air. A simple manual dial will control it quicker and more logically. I don't need or want a sensor to determine what temp air I need. And then there's the 61 A/C (fresh or recirc) setting fiasco.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    klroger is correct - The 2017+ models ARE rockets ... especially the blue ones. The +4 hp will absolutely propel you to victory!

I'd go for any 2017 - 2019 with a manual HVAC, 5-speed preferred if you can drive one (sounds like your 2013 may have been a 5-speed).

The 2020 (like mine) went to R134yf ... and I'd prefer to have the R134a of the previous years. That's my take.
    The 2019 ES manual is the "Holy Grail" of all Mirages. Factory cruise control became standard for all trim levels that year.

2019 ES manual checks all the best boxes (manual transmission, manual climate controls, & factory cruise control) for me. 2019 is the only model year with that combination.

2017 ES will not have factory cruise controls or backup camera/Bluetooth as standard equipment.

2018 ES (backup cameras became a Federal mandate), but still no factory cruise control.

2014-15 & 2020+ = auto climate controls for all trim levels.
    2019+ = factory cruise control for all trim levels.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

socal6g (01-20-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I would think you were wrong, if I hadn't worked for Hyundai-Kia. But after having worked there, you just don't know how very possible that is. As far as their engineering prowess, they are liars and they are schemers.

My issue is similar. When I get in the car with the engine cold and the environment cold, I want hot air as quickly as I can get it. I don't function well if my nukular core temperature begins to drop, even a little. Conversly, I get warm quickly. So when it is very cold, I push the temp button 3,000 times to put it at 89. Then 5 minutes later when I'm warming up, I push the temp down button 3,000 times to put it down to 75. Then I have to push it down some more because set at 75, it is blowing out super heated air. Then down some more, and down some more, still blowing out super heated air. I'm guessing there's a sensor in the face of the hvac. And if it is cold enough the sensor might sense that the temperature is below 62°F. So, when it's cold, but the cab has warmed up for me, and I set it down to 63, it still might be blowing super heated air, because the sensor says it's colder than that. It's not until it is set at 62, will the friggin thing stop blowing super heated air. Then it drops to cold air, which is too cold, so I have to ease it back up until I start feeling less cold air. A simple manual dial will control it quicker and more logically. I don't need or want a sensor to determine what temp air I need. And then there's the 61 A/C (fresh or recirc) setting fiasco.
    Even though my 2000 Honda CR-V had manual climate controls, it would automatically turn on the A/C for maximum window defrosting. You had to push the A/C button to cancel it. I wasn't a fan of that.

Thankfully, the Mirage manual climate controls aren't set up that way. Nothing happens automatically. If you want to add A/C to your window defrosting, you must push the A/C button manually. I like simple!