Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: improve steering feel by switching off electric assist?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aydu,,, I like your post!!! That's so true. It's when people try to make the mirage what it isn't! And if you cut off the power steering it will spell trouble because it's not working.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    uhm .... so basically after 3 pages of posts ... no one has tried to pull the fuse and see if:
    1. error code or icon lit up
    2. electric power steering is turned off?

Ha ha ha ha ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

kerc (02-18-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am tempted but I adore my power steering and enjoy very little wear being done to my leather steering wheel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hahaha i love the power steering and having no problem at all with it. So am not gonna try

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'll make it simple.
    Get up to speed.
    Kill the engine.
    Feel the steering while your'e coasting.
    (I've done this)

BTW, it's still not "pure manual" because your'e still back driving the frigging servo.
    Last edited by ThreePot; 02-18-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Build a switch for highway / spirited driving that kills the fuse?

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Guys, don't bother with the electrical system. It might cost you some money someday.

When I took off the front wheels for spring replacement, it had come to my attention that the steering was abnormally light that I can move the disc brake right and left with little effort. The mechanic told me the end-tie rod was already weak. To prove this then he took off the tie rod and he's correct, the tie rod had no resistance at all when moved right and left.

I had no confidence replacing with the same mirage oem parts, because my car was just 20k km and its durability was a big question. Then I decided to replace it with the parts from different car. Before installing I tested and the tie rod was hardly moved by my bare hands. After that my steering was heavier and very stable at high speed. I could take my hands off the steering wheel at 100 km/h and the car still ran straight. It felt much better than before.

I still disappointed with the self centering though. It has something to do with the caster setting, I think

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I honestly haven't noticed the return to center problem, as a driving enthusiast I never really let go of the wheel even on my 05 sti, I always turn back manually, this is especially crucial when you are being spirited in your driving, as the smoother you are the faster you can corner.

My issue is more of getting used to a 2000 pound car, its the lightest car I've ever owned. The 93 del sol I had was about 2500 pounds, the s2000 I had was about 2900 pounds, and my 05 sti is about 3300 pounds. It really erks me when a truck passes and the car via wind force wants to merge on its own, this could also be a small tire issue but I guarantee its mostly the light weight. Its like a gust of wind hits the car and the car wants to merge..... not good for spirited driving when wind hits you just right to make you have to correct for that wind resistance..... its killer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    I honestly haven't noticed the return to center problem, as a driving enthusiast I never really let go of the wheel even on my 05 sti, I always turn back manually, this is especially crucial when you are being spirited in your driving, as the smoother you are the faster you can corner.
    This is true. I was taught to hook my thumbs on the steering wheel spokes for best control. 10 & 2 don't cut it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is true. I was taught to hook my thumbs on the steering wheel spokes for best control. 10 & 2 don't cut it.
    Yeah, I myself am a 9 and 3 kind of guy. The first thing I taught myself was smooth rolling of the steering wheel in and out of turns, jerking motions result in spun out cars at high speeds XD ROFL. I love racing and driving technique, I have literally learned pretty much everything, the only thing I do now is keep practicing to get better and better. My left foot breaking is so good my friends can't tell when I am braking with my left foot or my right foot, they both feel smooth :P not to brag XD