Thread: Notchiness with the CVT?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Notchiness with the CVT?

Does anyone else feel a notchiness or hesitation in the engine/transmission on your CVT Mirage? This is especially evident in our new Mirage when we start slowing down, or when we start to accelerate from a full stop. Is this normal?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes.. there is a hesitation/lag as the trans shifts from low range in the aux trans.. for a brief moment it almost feels like the car is slowing down. I think this is because when aux trans switches range the cvt must backshift allowing the "belt" to travel back down the taper. All this takes a moment to happen.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

From a full stop, you may also be feeling the re-engagement from neutral into drive (the CVT shifts to N when stopped to save fuel when conditions are right).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Noticed that in all 3 Mirage with C.V.T. Usually before stopping for a red light . Can cause a bit concern during first test drive . Seen where Mitsubishi is #10 on dependable vehicle list that car dealers use .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is the idle neutral logic a point of concern for dependability?

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Does anyone else feel a notchiness or hesitation in the engine/transmission on your CVT Mirage? This is especially evident in our new Mirage when we start slowing down, or when we start to accelerate from a full stop. Is this normal?
    I have returned mine to the dealer twice as I am unhappy with the jerky and hesitant acceleration. This seems to happen after stopping or slowing then applying moderate acceleration.

I really don't think it is transmission based as I can normally feel when it changes up.

Unfortunately I think this is a fault as I have driven three other cvts and they have all done it to varying degrees.

It really makes smooth driving difficult.

The other day just as an experiment. I put transmission in b while on the motorway this seems to maintain the revs somewhere around 4000 at a constant 90 km. And experienced the same sort of coughing hiccuping some of hesitation that I some times get on take off.

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    From a full stop, you may also be feeling the re-engagement from neutral into drive (the CVT shifts to N when stopped to save fuel when conditions are right).
    I'm pretty sure mine does not go into neutral when stopped. Always seems to creep at stop. Even when i just ease off the brake a little I can feel it creeping. Definitely never feel the trans engage or disengage