Thread: New Zealand: Mirage is back to 'do it all again' - first drive (Taranaki Daily News)

New Zealand: Mirage is back to 'do it all again' - first drive (Taranaki Daily News)

The Mirage was unveiled to the New Zealand media last week, with an event that included an economy run from Wellington to Otaki that returned some seriously impressive numbers from the CVT-only cars.

Taranaki Daily News reporter Rob Maetzig offers his initial impressions of the model's return to N.Z. (We'll be posting more review highlights & links tomorrow.)

The "do it all again" bit in the article's title is a nod to the model's illustrious past in NZ: in the 80's, Mirage was a favourite amongst Kiwis, capturing 35% of total sales in its segment, and a healthy 51,000 sales over its full run.

Pros

• value for money - well equipped
    • class leading fuel economy (among automatic hatchbacks)
    • good warranty
    • easy to drive, good outward vision
    • plenty of inside room despite small package

Cons
    • flat rear seat not comfy
    • "some minor build-quality issues" - these aren't described though.

Summary

"...the new model has the goods to prove a popular buy."

Read the full review & see pics here: Mirage is back to 'do it all again'

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    in the late 1970s/early 1980s it accounted for 35 per cent of all hatchback sales and made Mitsubishi the most popular vehicle brand in the country.
    That is incredibly impressive. I bet they had all the other OEMs tearing their hair out haha.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi guys,
    I work for Mitsubishi Motors NZ and stumbled across your site recently. I thought you might also be interested in this very positive review:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/n...ectid=10866334

I hope you don't mind the intrusion.

Regards
    Reece

Hi Reece -

Thanks for the link. That one is actually on the list to post, and there are a few others after that, too.

No intrusion - we don't mind at all. Feel free to drop by and feed us info any time.

I don't suppose you guys recorded the results of the economy run from Wellington to Otaki by any chance? The bits & pieces I've found so far in the first-drive reviews don't provide the entire picture.

cheers-
    Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)