Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheel spacers?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    You mean the x7? Just a wider wheel. Helps with the corning. More amount of tyre in contact with the road.
    I don't know what kind of cornering you do, but I corner the **** out of this car and the stock 4.5s are NOT bad at all. With that said, x7 is killing it. I put on some 14x6 today and just a little more confident than the 4.5s.

Unless you do a full suspension overhaul, and do autocrosses or road racing (hell, even then) I doubt you'll get the full use out of that x7. In fact, I bet your acceleration will hurt more than the benefit you're going to get around the corners.

NOT to mention that the widest possible tires you can put on these cars is probably a 195. Guess what, a 195 can fit in a 5.5

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I don't know what kind of cornering you do, but I corner the **** out of this car and the stock 4.5s are NOT bad at all. With that said, x7 is killing it. I put on some 14x6 today and just a little more confident than the 4.5s.

Unless you do a full suspension overhaul, and do autocrosses or road racing (hell, even then) I doubt you'll get the full use out of that x7. In fact, I bet your acceleration will hurt more than the benefit you're going to get around the corners.

NOT to mention that the widest possible tires you can put on these cars is probably a 195. Guess what, a 195 can fit in a 5.5
    I enjoy taking round a bouts very fast. The side of my tyre has a fair bit of wear. I just like having a small car with fat tyres and wheels.
    The gymkhana version runs 205s on the stock 15" wheel. 15x5.5 with 205s and they buldge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, no one might be really interested with our wheels... Your best bet might be older Mirage/Lancer forums. But even those people would frown upon 14x4.5 wheels.
    If ednevell was closer to the Midwest, I'd make him an offer on his factory wheels...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    I enjoy taking round a bouts very fast. The side of my tyre has a fair bit of wear. I just like having a small car with fat tyres and wheels.
    The gymkhana version runs 205s on the stock 15" wheel. 15x5.5 with 205s and they buldge.
    The reason why that works is because he is probably using a high offset wheel with wide tires.

The look of that setup is way better than a wide ass wheel (7") on a narrow tire (195).

I can tell you that my 6.5 inch wide wheel with a +38 offset and 205 series tire is rubbing on both the interior of the wheel well and on the outer/fender. Don't tell me to get a better offset wheel because of the fact that I'm rubbing in either direction.

Unless you're into the "stretched" look, 195 on a 7" wheel looks fugly. Help, 195 on a 6.5 imo does not look good. That's why I put 205s on my rims.

But at the end of the day, you do what you want to and I do what I want to. I was merely interested in seeing what your reasoning behind a 7" wheel was.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    The reason why that works is because he is probably using a high offset wheel with wide tires.

The look of that setup is way better than a wide ass wheel (7") on a narrow tire (195).

I can tell you that my 6.5 inch wide wheel with a +38 offset and 205 series tire is rubbing on both the interior of the wheel well and on the outer/fender. Don't tell me to get a better offset wheel because of the fact that I'm rubbing in either direction.

Unless you're into the "stretched" look, 195 on a 7" wheel looks fugly. Help, 195 on a 6.5 imo does not look good. That's why I put 205s on my rims.

But at the end of the day, you do what you want to and I do what I want to. I was merely interested in seeing what your reasoning behind a 7" wheel was.
    Name:  mitsubishi_mirage_gymkhana_02.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  70.4 KB
    Same as my stock wheels, but you can see they poke out further than the rim itself, while mine sit just inside.
    I want that slight stretch, i like a little bit of the round look of a tyre.
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do? Just saying that you can put a 205 onto the stock wheel, it has been done.

If I could I would put x8 on my car, since that is what civics use over here, and there are a HUGE amount of wheels to fit civics, a lot cheaper than what I would have to pay to get a 15/16x6.5/7

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here in Houston, the local car forums don't quite approve with the stretched/poked looks like below:
    Name:  1h2otopdawg6dc3.jpg
Views: 2501
Size:  62.9 KB

I personally like the contact patch of the tire to be wider than the width of the rim. This way, the tire actually protects the lip/wheel from curb rash.

I actually like this rim/tire setup. Maybe 10mm wider tires...
    Name:  sx4copper22.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  58.1 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    If ednevell was closer to the Midwest, I'd make him an offer on his factory wheels...
    Make me an offer i might be inclined to drive them out closer to you!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, 1/4" spacers would be too much?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    So, 1/4" spacers would be too much?
    If you're gonna use spacers.....
    1/4" would not be too much but I don't think its enough to make a noticeable difference as far as looks go.
    I would try taking a wheel off and stack some washers on the studs to see how thick a spacer you need.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...4x100&ad_cid=7

I think I am going to pick these up tomorrow, plastidiped but that's ok I will peel them and get them powder coated black.