Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel quality impact on fuel economy

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Question fuel quality impact on fuel economy

Hey guys and gals,

I am noticing a poor mileage on my current tank (not yet logged) and was wondering whether it could be related to a lesser gas quality.

The last fill was at Costco. The four previous fills were at different stations and gave me 48+ MPG. I would say these tanks had a similar amount of highway/local mix with same driving style.

Did you ever notice similar variations? Given the higher temperatures, I was anticipating better numbers...

thx for your insights

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Costco gas is top-tier, so it is as good as any.

I usually run Arco (also top-tier), and sometimes notice a slight decrease in mpg versus Texaco or Chevron. My last tank was Chevron, and I did 51.8 mpg.

Most Arco tanks are in the the high 40s, but Chevron is about $0.30 more per gallon here so it is hard to justify buying it.

My best tank has been 53.1, but most are around 50-ish.

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post

I usually run Arco (also top-tier), and sometimes notice a slight decrease in mpg versus Texaco or Chevron. My last tank was Chevron, and I did 51.8 mpg.

Most Arco tanks are in the the high 40s, but Chevron is about $0.30 more per gallon here so it is hard to justify buying it.

I use top tier also... today I got around 67 mpg to the tank. I got really surprised

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleartec For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-02-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Hey guys and gals,

I am noticing a poor mileage on my current tank (not yet logged) and was wondering whether it could be related to a lesser gas quality.

The last fill was at Costco. The four previous fills were at different stations and gave me 48+ MPG. I would say these tanks had a similar amount of highway/local mix with same driving style.

Did you ever notice similar variations? Given the higher temperatures, I was anticipating better numbers...

thx for your insights
    I haven't noticed big differences in fuel consumption yet. My Mirage's numbers have been fairly stable. I only have five fill-ups, so I don't have much to go on. Also, I try to stick to one brand of gas. In my area, I use Amoco fuel sold at BP stations. Even if they are more expensive than others, they are usually close in price.

Has your tire pressure changed lately? Service at dealers will make sure tire pressures are at recommended levels, even if you bring the car in with higher air pressure in your tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    I use top tier also... today I got around 67 mpg to the tank. I got really surprised
    Nice! You must be paying close attention to your driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

Nice! You must be paying close attention to your driving.
    Yeah I have The worst part of it was that I did some sort of traffic driving. So I thought to myself that my fuel cosumption would be a bit higher but no. This is the 1st tank where I get this kind of fuel economy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Perhaps you started using A/C?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Perhaps you started using A/C?
    No I don't use it so much. 67 mpg was with 25% climate control on. With this heat I need to use it at least 50% of the driving. But I am still able to let the computer show me 25 km/L with a/c. The 67 mpg tank was calculated by the amount of miles done and the amount of fuel put in the tank. I do this all the time, no change... I'm quite happy with economy, I hope prius owners still have their wallet sound and safe

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post

what do you mean by top-tier? being in Canada, do you have different grades of gasoline, instead of different octane ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    67 mpg
    excellent mpg. very few people have cited over 60, and your only the 2nd person I've seen claim above 65. welcome to the club!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (06-02-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post

excellent mpg. very few people have cited over 60, and your only the 2nd person I've seen claim above 65. welcome to the club!
    It may be 3dplane or plus25 or both . But they have overall better average fuel economy