Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage differential possibilities

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mirage differential possibilities

So I'm here sitting at home thinking about transmission upgrades and I think "lsd". Then I remember that drugs are bad for me so I think about LSDs. So I start looking into the transmission codes and find that we run a F5MBD 5-speed manual transmission. I start changing the last character to see what turns up (taking cues from my previous DSM and Lancer/Cedia/Mirage experience) and find out that the 2011+ Lancer FWDs run a F5MBB 5-speed manual transmission. Also found the F5MBE from the RVR.

I tried looking further and found nothing in the way of differential part numbers. So I guess tomorrow or Thursday I'll just have to drop in at Mitsubishi and ask a couple of questions. Or a whole slew of them. Let's see what turns up.

I'm hoping on a similar or same differential part number. maybe clutch part numbers as well but now we're really dreaming. But I'll let you guys know what happens.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rival Autosport For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (04-30-2014),MetroMPG (04-30-2014)

This would be interesting potentially on both the performance as well as the economy sides.

Because if you discover swappable transmission internals from more powerful vehicles, that means the economy nerds (me, me, me) might have additional options for taller gearing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    This would be interesting potentially on both the performance as well as the economy sides.

Because if you discover swappable transmission internals from more powerful vehicles, that means the economy nerds (me, me, me) might have additional options for taller gearing.
    I was thinking the same thing. Also I considered that for the performance end, a Mirage converted to MAP to run boost could take advantage of the taller gearing. When tied in with the lightweight build and more power, the car could become considerably quicker and still maintain amazing acceleration inherent of a high power/weight ratio. Also, the gears would be a lot stronger by design. But let's start with the differential and go from there first.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sounds very interesting. Let us know what you find out. I wouldn't be surprised if there was parts sharing. It would help keep the price of the Mirage down.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    and from time to time with a little bit more power, and taller gearing you can get better mpg's

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So it looks like a fail. The assembly diagram alone shows how different the systems are. The Mirage is a 6-component differential and the Lancer is a much larger 8 component, including an extension housing and a gear to run the speedometer. Moreover, our gear set looks far more compact than the Lancer gear set. Apparently there's no real difference between the lower end Lancer and the 2.4L GTS manual transmission and the RVR is even beefier.

Further to that, the Lancer differential has a 16-bolt pattern to bolt up to the final drive gear, whereas ours is a 6-bolt pattern.

Needless to say, this is a dead end. I can still scan and put up copies of the parts list and diagram if people want. You'll just have to wait till the weekend.

Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    and from time to time with a little bit more power, and taller gearing you can get better mpg's
    True.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalliArt_Mirage View Post
    So it looks like a fail. The assembly diagram alone shows how different the systems are. The Mirage is a 6-component differential and the Lancer is a much larger 8 component, including an extension housing and a gear to run the speedometer. Moreover, our gear set looks far more compact than the Lancer gear set. Apparently there's no real difference between the lower end Lancer and the 2.4L GTS manual transmission and the RVR is even beefier.

Further to that, the Lancer differential has a 16-bolt pattern to bolt up to the final drive gear, whereas ours is a 6-bolt pattern.

Needless to say, this is a dead end. I can still scan and put up copies of the parts list and diagram if people want. You'll just have to wait till the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfly600 View Post
    It appears that the smart 1.0l turbo and mirage 1.0 and 1.2 share the same engine block meaning that the turbo should be bolt on

If any body has more info on this please input it .

I am still looking up on the net will come back with more info as I get them

Interesting stuff man. We can try looking at the transmission of the smart 1.0 if it's compatible

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey MirageAsti, where did you get the quote about the Smart and the Mirage block being the same? I could I get the link please?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can't believe I haven't seen this thread.

Name:  2790539-i_approve_this_message__be80a0c4e678f4290d2177c5a3a41c02.jpg
Views: 5190
Size:  25.1 KB