Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage trailer hitch/receiver: Curt 11394 Class 1; Draw-Tite 24916

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I want those wheels.

You mean hubcaps?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Damn, you're right. Looked like old toyota rims LOL.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Since my car looks pretty much identical to the one pictured in the directions from Curt, and the directions are pretty darn good, there's not a lot of value to me taking any general pics of my car.

That said, the installation only took about 20 minutes, and the fit is very good. I'm well pleased.

I did deviate from the directions in one area, and I think it'll put some people's mind at ease to hear about it. The directions for the passenger's side bolts are spot on, fish some wire through, slip washer/spacer on, thread bolt on, then pull back through. General trailer hitch fish wire 101.

The directions for the driver's side, though, call for enlarging a 7/16" hole in the "frame" out to about 1" and using it to feed the bolts and washer/spacers through. I wasn't comfortable with that, and with a little poking around I found another large hole into the "frame" back in the bumper area. While it took slightly more involved process with the fish wire, call it your 200-level class, it didn't take but a few minutes and saved me the hassle of running a power tool out to the car and the irreversible enlarging of a hole I didn't really want enlarged. Bolts and washer/spacers fished on through, then bolted it on up into place.

I ordered mine off e-vil-bay, for @$125 including shipping, and even if I never tow a trailer with it the bike rack and tow-me-out-of-the-snowy-ditch versatility added are worth it for me. It's also about the best fitting hitch I've installed, tucked up in there, and at this point I do recommend.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldopelguy For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (11-29-2015),fifteenwindow (05-10-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldopelguy View Post
    Since my car looks pretty much identical to the one pictured in the directions from Curt, and the directions are pretty darn good, there's not a lot of value to me taking any general pics of my car.

That said, the installation only took about 20 minutes, and the fit is very good. I'm well pleased.

I did deviate from the directions in one area, and I think it'll put some people's mind at ease to hear about it. The directions for the passenger's side bolts are spot on, fish some wire through, slip washer/spacer on, thread bolt on, then pull back through. General trailer hitch fish wire 101.

The directions for the driver's side, though, call for enlarging a 7/16" hole in the "frame" out to about 1" and using it to feed the bolts and washer/spacers through. I wasn't comfortable with that, and with a little poking around I found another large hole into the "frame" back in the bumper area. While it took slightly more involved process with the fish wire, call it your 200-level class, it didn't take but a few minutes and saved me the hassle of running a power tool out to the car and the irreversible enlarging of a hole I didn't really want enlarged. Bolts and washer/spacers fished on through, then bolted it on up into place.

I ordered mine off e-vil-bay, for @$125 including shipping, and even if I never tow a trailer with it the bike rack and tow-me-out-of-the-snowy-ditch versatility added are worth it for me. It's also about the best fitting hitch I've installed, tucked up in there, and at this point I do recommend.
    Can you take some pics of the finished product? I'm intrigued. Would be cool to be able to carry bikes once again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good pictures in the directions :
    https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._11394_INS.PDF

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    is a trailer hitch actually a modification the insurance needs to know about?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

With my last couple of new policies, my insurance company has specifically asked if the car would be used for towing. So I'm guessing mine would want to know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I may or may not recall hearing something similar.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi, i also own a Smart Fortwo, in Canada you are not supposed to pull a trailer with it but in Europe its normal!
    I would love to get a hitch or my Mirage and have a hitch carrier on it, very nice to have!!