Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'm working for the state in Human Services for the last 2 1/2 yrs. The previous 25 years were spent in adult & juvenile corrections and adult & juvenile parole / probation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'm working for the state in Human Services for the last 2 1/2 yrs. The previous 25 years were spent in adult & juvenile corrections and adult & juvenile parole / probation.
    Tough job. Makes a person distrust humanity, as all one sees is the worst examples.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am a civil engineer working in floodplain and stormwater management

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    I am a civil engineer working in floodplain and stormwater management
    I'll bet you are busy these days.

I want to better manage surface storm water in my yard. Do you have any resources I could use to learn more about this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

jbarr (02-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is not a simple question because it depends on many things, among them how much water, from where is it coming, and what do you mean by manage (i.e. convey to storm sewer/ creek, infiltrate, or reuse). Essentially to manage it you will need to collect the water in some way which might require some grading and then you can use an inlet and pipe to convey it elsewhere or use the new hot item which is green infrastructure like a rain garden to infiltrate. The EPA has some guidance on green infrastructure which is good. Try googling "green infrastructure for homeowner".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will do, jbarr. I mostly have a flat yard with a gentle slope. I mostly want to keep the water away from my foundation. I'll have a look at 'green infrastructure' results.
    Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The most effective method I can think of to keep water away from the foundation will be to make sure the ground slopes away from your house and there isn't a depression from settling. Also make sure your gutters work and the downspouts discharge away from the house.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree, and that's my challenge. As I said, my yard is quite flat. The backyard is my big challenge. My yard is still settling and recovering from a geothermal installation.
    Our sewer district is encouraging disconnecting downspouts from footer drains, and is incentivizing with discounts on the monthly bills.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How do you like the geothermal? Worth the money? Are you in the Cleveland area? If so you might get more reimbursement than just stormwater credit. Contact NE OR SD if you are. I would get in a couple loads of dirt to establish grade away from house and then if desired and if incentive is big enough establish a rain garden in one corner of your yard.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1.a. I like geothermal for it's efficiency. It is the prime reason for retrofitting my home with it - that, and the federal tax credits made it more affordable. My interest in energy efficiency is primarily what draws me to the Mirage - it's more than enough in many ways.

1.b At installation, it might have been financially 'worth it' had fracking not changed the market. Lately, with natural gas prices low, I'm not saving much. My oven is my only appliance still using gas, and I want to switch to an induction range with a convection oven. With this I can eliminate my natural gas service, and bill, entirely, and switch over to all electric.

1.c. In time, I would like to install a residential photovoltaic system. I am interested in Seasonal Energy Storage - read more about it on Wikipedia, and be sure to look at the Drake Landing Solar Community.

Wikipedia reading:
    Drake Landing Solar Community
    Seasonal thermal energy storage

Board members whose primary language is not English may be able to find the articles on Wikipedia in other languages, just browse the left column for languages.

This is my inexplicably persistent enthusiasm.

2.a. Yes, I am in the Cleveland area, you stalker you. I think my topsoil is poor - heavy with clay. Though my yard would benefit from several yards of good topsoil, I think I would need to remove soil to achieve proper grading. I'm concerned that the grade level is already fairly high near my house. Since this is not my forte, I need to learn more about this, maybe get more opinion on how to approach it. My last place had the backyard graded toward the house, and many adjacent yards drained toward it. I was mindful to avoid buying another 'basin' property when we relocated here. It's not perfect, but I think it's workable. My goal is to intercept uphill surface water in swales and redirect it away from the structure.

2.b. NEORSD is the agency offering the downspout rebates. You sound familiar with them? They face many challenges here. Are you familiar with their Euclid Creek Tunnel project?

https://www.google.com/#q=euclid+creek+tunnel

Home ownership - the American Dream... Sigh.

Last edited by Eggman; 02-05-2016 at 10:25 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

jbarr (02-05-2016)