Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys are about to see why I never sleep...

Co-Owner, CEO, and CFO of a family operated Electro-Chrome Plating shop/Welding& Fabrication shop on its far side.
    Sub-let a few houses that were left to me in my grandmother's will
    Owner of Multimedia Design Firm
    Freelance Programmer/Web Developer/Android Rom Modification
    Custom Computer Case Fabrication/Design
    Full-Time Father, and part-time training Assistant Manager at a local pizza joint I started at a few weeks ago.
    Co-Owner of a new investment I just took into where we'll be teaching college students how to do graphic design while allowing customers to bid on jobs for them to do instead of paying a designer in house.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello all. I am a custom machine designer and fabricator. Its a small 2 person company that is growing. We are complete design an build operation that mostly caters to the window and door industry. We have expanded in to medical assembly fixtures and jigs as well as jigs and fixtures for an injection mold shop. Its very rewarding but is 54 miles from home. And that's what brings me here!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, Skee-lo! 108 miles a day certainly does call for drastic action.

Dracconus: that's just insane. I'm trying to work less, not more!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, Skee-lo! 108 miles a day certainly does call for drastic action.

Dracconus: that's just insane. I'm trying to work less, not more!
    I'd love to work less, but having a two year old with recurring debts doesn't allow that quite yet. Once things get settled I'll probably drop a few of my free time projects.
    The shop I get paid for regardless of whether I'm there or not, as as for the houses I mainly have to worry about making sure things are up to code, and maintenance is taken care of by local contractors. Really I don't work all too much, probably about 80 hours a week but when you consider all that I have to do that's not that bad xD

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Software development analyst for a credit union, using Microsoft platforms. I'm the CU's lead guy for Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracconus View Post
    a two year old with recurring debts
    Well, you're just going to have to take the credit cards away from the two year old!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    IT guy for IBM Malaysia

and also part time Lotus F1 Team die hard fans hehe and and and DOTA player
    Last edited by CheezyWedges; 05-11-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Frequent forum posters = all these IT/tech workers who are otherwise on their computers all day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

kerc (05-12-2014)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Frequent forum posters = all these IT/tech workers who are otherwise on their computers all day.
    nerd? hahaha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, you're just going to have to take the credit cards away from the two year old!
    It's funny that you point out my lack of a comma there, however in light of the humor my 2y.o. actually does have a credit card. She gets allowance placed onto it for doing her daily/weekly chores, and taking care of her cat, and learning new things. She has a real sense of pride in going to the store, and saying "Daddy, *ITEM* pwease! and I either tell her she does, or doesn't have enough.
    I discussed with the credit bureau this possibility, and they stated that while they don't check ages on cards it would be a frowned upon thing, and could potentially look bad should a court case ever come up, so I started an interest accruing checking account for her, and she makes on average $50 a week. Which isn't bad for a 2 y.o.

I see it as a positive way to promote learning skills. I teach her real world solutions. The more you know, the more you get paid. At two years old she can count to twenty, has a pretty decent cognitive skill when it comes to musical note registration, knows basic addition (working on multiplication now) in single multipliers, and knows English pretty well, and speaks it while comprehending certain commands such as stop, sit, no, not yours, etc. in Czech, and Spanish as well.
    Last month I bought her her first tablet (LeapPad Innotab3s) and she's already conquering most of the games on it with ease. If she continues to do well then I will relinquish my Atari 2600 to her when she turns five just as it was for me, and then in sequence the NES, etc. so that she has less to purchase.
    While some kids she'll grow up with won't know what the hell she's playing, her coordination, and developmental skills will be far beyond theirs (See Nintendo Corporation Study performed on NES and WII Systems) so I couldn't be happier utilizing that method.
    As for phones, well...daddy programs ROMs, and knows cellular infrastructure, so she won't be hiding ANYTHING as a teenager xD

With a wife that works on people, and a father that works on systems she's pretty much scored her way through life, but if she's smart about it she'll continue the road that I stuck her on, and realize that the more she does, and the smarter she gets the more she'll receive.

*BTW* Sorry for bringing this sorta off topic.