Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After 17 years of college and working full time I got a masters degree in civil engineering - worked in architecture and engineering during that time and for about 6 years after graduating. For the next 12 years I converted a hobby into a career and worked in software development - best job ever!, but it came to an end at about the same time that I was getting burnt-out so it kind of worked out ok. The last 5 years I have been working in insurance actuarial. Yes, it is as boring as it sounds but it's easy and the pay is very good. I have 4 yrs to retirement so I can stick it out no problem. Lately, I have been buying up machine tools and watching youtube videos on how to run metal lathes, milling machines, etc. I built a shop attached to my house and have developed a few products to sell on ebay. My hobby now is antique motorcycles, not the real old ones, the ones from my youth. I make parts for them that are obsolete, no longer produced. Always looking for new tools to buy and new products to make.

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    I'm a cinematographer/editor. My mirage usually has the rear seats down and is packed with film gear
    Let's see some pictures of your cargo hauler in action.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    My hobby now is antique motorcycles, not the real old ones, the ones from my youth. I make parts for them that are obsolete, no longer produced. Always looking for new tools to buy and new products to make.
    Any thoughts about fabricating stuff for our Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Any thoughts about fabricating stuff for our Mirage?
    Yeah sure, why not? The trick is in finding the product. I had an idea to machine a 3d dust cap for the wheels and reproduce them in resin using the Mitsubishi emblem as the spinner part.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  7.0 KB

Then I thought, why stop there? Go full ghetto bandit spinner hubcap - like most of my ideas blow up before leaving my mind.

https://youtu.be/aJaR4ev1Tzk?t=274

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    Lately, I have been buying up machine tools and watching youtube videos on how to run metal lathes, milling machines, etc. I built a shop attached to my house and have developed a few products to sell on ebay... Always looking for new tools to buy and new products to make.
    Good to know if I need machined parts! I've gone to local shops, but I'd rather support a fellow MFer (does that sound wrong to anyone else?).
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

bzacon (01-24-2018),Eggman (01-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nature Educator/Hike Guide for County forest preserves

9. The Following User Says Thank You to roscoe1972 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Good to know if I need machined parts! I've gone to local shops, but I'd rather support a fellow MFer (does that sound wrong to anyone else?).
    I would be MF thrilled to do some MF work for a fellow MF'er

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I grew up in a medium-sized car repair shop in Oz, which belonged to my best friends parents. Repaired differentials, gearboxes and reconditioned engines long before becoming a teenager. My parents moved to Germany before I became of age (then it was 21), and stuck me into an apprenticeship for radio and TV repair. After geting my diploma, got a job at a public TV broadcaster. Changed employer a few times.
    For the last two decades I'm responsible for a small fleet of SNG (satellite news gathering) vehicles, and either do myself or organize repairs for the electronics of the SNG's and a few other outside broadcasting trucks. Now and then I'm in the Alps or Scandinavia some other place doing TV coverage of some usually sports event.
    In six months I shall officially retire, but will continue working at the maximum legally allowed hours so I can exist. In this state of Europe, folks have to work the longest of all OECD member states to become eligable for a pension, and yet receive 11% less than average of all OECD member states. In Greece, I would have received a pension 96% higher, and have worked 10 years less to become eligable for it. (Source: official OECD figures)
    In my spare time I am involved in FOSS (Free Open Source Software) such as Linux, maintain collectors antique radios, and go hiking and climbing in the most remote parts of the Alps and other remote places.
    Last edited by foama; 01-24-2018 at 07:46 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    maintain collectors antique radios
    Wow that's quite a background. Not everyone gets to learn both electronics and mechanisms the way you have - and these days that comes in very handy.

I'm curious to know if you have an amateur radio operator's license.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm curious to know if you have an amateur radio operator's license.
    Nope, but many friends have. Working on antennas and RF equipment for the best part of one kilowatt of 14GHz is fun enough...