Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    University Student/Landlord/Part time employee

I bought a house in Windsor, ON a few years ago when prices were still low but just on their way up when I was in school there. Taking care of a couple tenants was cheaper than paying stand alone rent in Windsor, and it's still been going surprisingly good, few set backs with the fixer-upper aside.

At least I won't be a student for much longer! Should be done after a couple summer classes. Hopefully I can pay it off soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Deliver #2 fuel oil/ B20 fuel oil to homes. Big money, long hours, depressing winter lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The last few years I have been working as a PT bike shop sales guy while spending most of the time home as a Stay at Home Dad.

Those 3 days were a nice change of pace, talking to adults and helping with paying the utilities and groceries whilst my wife takes care of the bread winner mortgage stuff. It is nice to have gramma a mile away to help out. Quick bike ride with the kiddo on the long tail Surly bike.

Just laid off, it's been a bad year for shops. I am currently seeking a new PT to FT gig.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to djkenny For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    That's cool. Enjoy being a Dad. Every Dad will tell you to spend time with your kids because they grow up so fast.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's cool. Enjoy being a Dad. Every Dad will tell you to spend time with your kids because they grow up so fast.
    Thanks. I feel very Lucky. SO opposite from my Dad, growing up... he worked 10-15+ hrs a day. I mean, we live simply. The whole idea of me driving a car it does create some concern for costs associated (we have been getting by great with 1 car in the family, we bike mostly/walk to destinations... and that will continue, I just wanted a little more flexibility with a 2nd one on the way
    Who knows? I might use the car for deliveries or what have you. Options these days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to djkenny For This Useful Post:

Johnny Mullet (04-17-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm bumping this thread cause its always fun to see what other people do! I shall reiterate my own, and go into a bit more depth than my previous post.

I do a bunch of things for a living. I don't really believe in or like the idea of a single source of income. If it gets cut off you're in trouble. If my main source of income gets cut off, I can survive on the others for quite some time. I also believe in living a fairly minimalist lifestyle too which I'm sure a lot here agree with.

My main 9-5 job is a CAD administrator / mechanical designer. I work at a company that makes rock crushing equipment. I design all the stuff our crushers go on and all the stuff between the crushers, but not the crushers themselves. So, I design chassis', walkways, conveyors, hoppers, chutes, axle assemblies, some hydraulic systems, and lots of other miscellaneous bits. I quite enjoy it thankfully. The work is pretty diverse and I get to work on a bunch of different things. Here are a few examples:

My next source of income is online retail. I primarily sell things on amazon, but also on ebay, and even here. For example, my 3d printed MAF housings. I plan on designing several other parts for the Mirage. If people are interested in my projects I can look into having them made. Now that I have one, its SO much easier to develop things for it. I'm really looking forward to this as I find it incredibly fun to do.

Next up would probably be running websites. Darin and I have a few sites that make us a modest sum of money. We honestly don't really do it for the money. This should be evident in that we've been running this forum for years now and I just now got a Mirage haha. We enjoy the sites we run and would be on them even if we didn't own them.

After that, I have a little bit invested into real estate. I'm partial owner of a couple properties. They are managed by another company, so I'm completely hands off. I'm basically a silent partner in the deal, and have little to no say in what happens with the company. However, I do know the owner of the management company, and am friends with him and trust him.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I manage an off shore family trust. They are heavily into real estate which I have somehow been finagled into overseeing.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Soldier
    An avg girl who has a long commute with her wine red 5 speed jellybean.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to seabass1858 For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm a cinematographer/editor. My mirage usually has the rear seats down and is packed with film gear

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Franz For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-23-2018)