Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Weekend with a Mirage Rental

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by festiboi View Post
    You are so right M-88. The Fiesta is just horribly cramped. I naturally wanted to buy one as my next car, as I've been a Ford loyalist, but I just can't find a comfortable seating position. My right knee is rubbing against the protruding console, my left arm is scrunched up against the tiny armrest on the door, and my left leg is pushed against a cupholder that juts out into the driver's footwell. The back seat is a joke, especially considering it's a size larger than a Mirage. It's a terrible design.

Too bad, the rest of the car is pretty decent to drive.

It wasn't a bad little car to drive. I *did* manage to get in one because I wanted to drive the DCT. I had to recline the front seat to get my right leg around the steering wheel. Lack of interior space and a timing belt = no thanks. I despise timing belts.

Suspension wise, it's the same as the Mirage. Struts front and twist beam in the rear.

I've always been a huge fan of the Versa for that reason. Somehow, it is bigger inside than outside. No idea how.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, I'm actually shopping the 2015 Mazda 2, festiboi, I never thought you'd give it such a crappy review. I wouldn't doubt it if Mazda improves the latest 2, codenamed Hazumi. Unless, of course, as one Mazda executive hinted (didn't directly state), the Hazumi is not going to be the next Mazda 2. It's because Mazda is working on a new car that will slot in above the 2 and below the 3, some think Hazumi is that car. Hazumi dimensions are wider and longer than the outgoing Mazda 2.

We'll know pretty soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuman View Post
    Wow, I'm actually shopping the 2015 Mazda 2, festiboi, I never thought you'd give it such a crappy review. I wouldn't doubt it if Mazda improves the latest 2, codenamed Hazumi. Unless, of course, as one Mazda executive hinted (didn't directly state), the Hazumi is not going to be the next Mazda 2. It's because Mazda is working on a new car that will slot in above the 2 and below the 3, some think Hazumi is that car. Hazumi dimensions are wider and longer than the outgoing Mazda 2.

We'll know pretty soon.

It's related to the Fiesta so it does have a lot of the same downfalls.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M-88 For This Useful Post:

festiboi (05-27-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    It's related to the Fiesta so it does have a lot of the same downfalls.
    So true M-88. They are similar and have many of the same downfalls (tight interior) and strengths (handling). However, the Mazda got the short end of the stick with a 1.5 liter vs the Fiesta's 1.6 that produces 20 less horsepower (100 vs 120) which did make a noticeable difference on the road, lower fuel economy ratings than the Fiesta, and fewer features for the same price. Plus it was much more noisy and was blown around more than the Fiesta. There are so many trade-offs with absolutely no perks in return

A lot of complaints about the 2 (cheap interior, noisy, comparatively slow) can be also made about the Mirage, but at least the Mirage gets impressive fuel economy, more standard goodies, feels much roomier, and is typically about $2k less comparatively equipped.

Too bad, I really wanted to like the 2 and was excited when it first was sold in the US. It was so promising. I just don't see the relevance of it, and hope the next gen catches up.

If only the Mirage would have the 2's handling, it'd be perfect!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's the same analogy as the 5 speed manual (MTX75) in my Focus. It's not a manual for someone who likes to drive manual ... It's a manual for someone who cannot afford an automatic. Absolutely horrid transmission - gearing is terrible (first gear is too tall, 5th gear is too short), crappy shift feel. If you *truely* want a good manual, you'll get a Honda or a Mazda.

The Fiesta/Mazda are for people who *really* want a Ford or Mazda, but can't afford one of the better models and end up with a subcompact hatch from their chosen manufacturer. If you really want a subcompact hatch, you're going to most likely get a Fit, Note or Yaris. (I didn't include Mirage/Spark because they are sub-sub-compacts)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm actually shopping the 2015 Mazda 2 and Toyota Yaris. I am not sure that we'll like the small Mirage "living" space up front. The Yaris and 2 should have more, especially if Mazda builds a tad bigger 2 for 2015. If not they're building a new car completely from head ta tow slooting just above the 2 and just below the 3 to sell worldwide. Got my eye on that one, for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The 2 is a tad bigger inside than the Fiesta - but the Mirage has much more space for the driver and passenger than the Fiesta.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Talking about space, I transported 4 people yesterday and asked everyone how it was, everyone was comfortable.

Layout:

driver - 5'10"ish (~215lbs)
    rear driver passender - 6'ish (~190lbs)
    passenger - 4'xx" (no idea)
    rear passenger - 5'8" (~205lbs)

It would have been better for the 6' person to either be in the passenger side or behind shorty, but I had to put the other 'heavyweight' on that side for weigh balance purposes.

Either way, everyone was quite comfortable. Granted, all luggage was in the trunk and no room for a 5th passenger. Its not often I have a group in my car anyway. If we needed to sit 5, I would have driven the civic.

Also, was averaging 35mpg on the freeway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am actually taking a strong look at the new 2015 Toyota Yaris. They've designed a much better looking front end with the "X" look to it and a similar looking rear end to the 2014 Yaris. A 5-speed is available but it won't get anywhere near the gas mileage the Mirage gets. Probably 28 city 37 highway, right in there somewhere. I took my '08 Lancer GTS in for an oil change and 27-point checkup yesterday. Got the oil change and she's in great health. 124,433 miles on her and the engine still purrs. So I can't see trading her in anytime soon, really.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much does the yaris start and what does it come with?

I think the reason why I didnt go with the yaris was because they were wanting more $ for less features.