Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a purchase - Current deals, CVT longevity?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Considering a purchase - Current deals, CVT longevity?

We have a '11 Yaris 3-door/5-speed now and love it — it's been flawlessly reliable and gets 35± MPG in the city.

Two factors are contributing to the need to sell it and get something cheap with an automatic:
    1. My wife was recently diagnosed with some arthritis in her hip and the constant clutching is irritating it
    2. We have two teenage boys in the house and neither can get the hang of driving the Yaris (it has no torque and is very easy to stall out). It's to the point where I am worried about them putting some abnormal wear on the clutch.

Couple of questions --

• I looked for a purchase thread but didn't find it. What kind of deals are people getting on the Mirage? Are they dealing on them at all yet? I realize there isn't much room between MSRP and invoice, but you never know.

• I don't care for CVTs but since I will not be driving this car, it is not a huge concern. My main issue is with reliability. I have no concern with the engine or the rest of the vehicle (have owned Mitsubishis in the past) but am a little worried about the CVT. Has the Mirage's CVT been used in other markets, and does it last okay long term? I don't want to be facing a transmission replacement at 110-120k miles, like what's common in other brands that were early CVT adopters.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum!

Here is the link to the purchase price thread.

I don't think there are any major concerns for the reliabillity of the CVT. The CVT7 used on the Mirage has been in production since 2009 ... here is a link with some technical details about it ... and here as well, from the manufacturer of the CVT with a list of cars that currently have this particular CVT.

Reliability Index seems to show that there is little to no significant transmission problems with these models in their history, such as the Nissan Note, Suzuki Swift, and Suzuki Wagon R.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-12-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links — I see them now, must not've been fully caffeinated!

I knew about the new 2-speed Jatco CVT (as used in the Versa) but didn't realize it was also being used in the Mirage. I didn't care for the CVTs in the Lancer or the previous-generation Sentra at all so hopefully the 2-speed unit enhances the driveability a bit. I thought the cars were fine around town under 60 MPH but really left a lot lacking at higher speeds.

As I understand it, the 2-speed gearbox gives a more satisfying "kickdown" experience if you floor it at 70 MPH instead of just zinging up to 6000 RPM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One more question — is there a full maintenance schedule available online? I found a generic one on the Mitsubishi site but it was for all of their vehicles and was a little hard to follow.

I'm assuming it's pretty standard, like oil changes every 7500 miles, air filters every year or so, trans service every 30 or 60k, check valve clearance and change the plugs, coolant, at 105k miles, etc. It has a timing chain, right, but is there anything out of the ordinary, like is the CVT fluid super expensive? I have only had manual trans cars so am a little wary of the CVT if you can tell.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have no problems with my CVT, and enjoy it ... it does have a decent experience at higher speeds, probably because of the 2-speed, as you pointed out.

The full maintenance schedule is online, and can be accessed if you register at Mitsu's website at https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/registration ... you can enter in any details you want, and it should let you in to grab the manual & maintenance schedule. The last time I reviewed it, there was no maintenance I can recall for the CVT fluid under the regular schedule, but there is under the severe schedule.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-12-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Expect to pay $13,000 for the DE with the C.V.T..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Teen boys should not drive the CVT equipped car. This type of transmission is only for easy footers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    The last time I reviewed it, there was no maintenance I can recall for the CVT fluid under the regular schedule, but there is under the severe schedule.
    I noticed that, too. However, personally I'd recommend to flush CVT fluid every 40K miles. It would cost about $200 at the dealer. Don't flush in uncertified shops.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cinder is that 13,000 out the door, or before taxes and such? I'm going Thursday to order one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Teen boys should not drive the CVT equipped car. This type of transmission is only for easy footers.
    Why, out of curiosity? I was thinking that 74 horsepower + CVT would be perfect for reducing the shenanigans potential compared to, say, a $14k, 160-horsepower Focus S.