Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new challenger - Chevy Cruze Diesel

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

A new challenger - Chevy Cruze Diesel

"Finally there will be a 1.6-liter turbo-diesel, an engine Chevrolet has deployed in Europe, but never before in the Cruze, and never before on American shores. Chevy reps wouldn't confirm power or mileage estimates, other than their expectation that it will be the highest-MPG non-hybrid car on the market in the US."

(http://www.cnet.com/products/2016-chevrolet-cruze/)

Time will tell. I wonder if diesels will be harder to sell after the VW issues. I'm sure this car will cost at least $10,000 more than our Mirages as well. Still, it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off in the real world.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    "Finally there will be a 1.6-liter turbo-diesel, an engine Chevrolet has deployed in Europe, but never before in the Cruze, and never before on American shores. Chevy reps wouldn't confirm power or mileage estimates, other than their expectation that it will be the highest-MPG non-hybrid car on the market in the US."

(http://www.cnet.com/products/2016-chevrolet-cruze/)

Time will tell. I wonder if diesels will be harder to sell after the VW issues. I'm sure this car will cost at least $10,000 more than our Mirages as well. Still, it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off in the real world.
    A Cruze diesel will never pencil out to being a better deal than the Mirage. Let's say the combined EPA rating of the Cruze is 45mpg. The Mirage's combined EPA rating is 40mpg. Using $3.00 a gallon as the cost of fuel for both models the Mirage costs $8.33 per thousand miles more to drive than the Cruze. I think your guess of about $10k difference between the MSRP of the Mirage and Cruze is a solid number. It would take 1,200,000 miles before you saved $10k in fuel compared to driving the Mirage. The reality is the only reason to buy a diesel Cruze would be you just gotta have one. With gasoline being cheaper than diesel consistently a diesel Cruze might actually be more expensive per 1,000 miles than the Mirage in fuel costs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Wow, this was announced back in June 2015.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    They are already out, aren't they? IIRC, they are about $30,000! I thought they came out in 2014. Is the '16 significantly different? Different motor? I don't think it's much competition for the ol' Mirage.

Plus, it needs a tank of 'piss water' that you have to keep topped up. No thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From the 2015 Cruze web page:
    Clean-driven performance
    The only small domestic diesel car, Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel† offers up to 46 MPG† highway. The engine features the latest in advanced clean diesel technology to reduce emissions without sacrificing performance.

An edge over the competition
    Introducing the 2.0L turbocharged clean diesel engine in the 2015 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel. It generates at least 90% less nitrogen oxide (NOx) and particulate emissions compared to previous-generation diesels.

And it can take you up to 717 miles on a single tank† while boasting an SAE-certified 151 horsepower and 264 lb.-ft. of low-end torque. That’s more than Volkswagen Jetta TDI. In fact, Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel† has outperformed the Jetta TDI in eight separate categories. That’s a new generation of performance and efficiency.
    That's a 2.0 liter diesel, not the announced 1.4. MSRP starting at $26,485.

Edit: Sorry - 1.6 liter, not 1.4.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-12-2015 at 09:34 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why are diesel engines a $7,000 luxury item nowadays???

If GM wants to sell them, they should offer a base, base, BASE model Cruze diesel with nothing but cloth seats, cruise control, AC, and a manual trans! Call it the 'Cruze CS'...the Commuter Special!

I'll bet they'd sell a bunch of them at, say...$19,000?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    GM already claims it is a good selling model worldwide.

I think it is funny that they compare the Cruze diesel with the VW Jetta.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    GM already claims it is a good selling model worldwide.

I think it is funny that they compare the Cruze diesel with the VW Jetta.
    It likely is a good selling model in other markets. But other markets can probably get one without 1000 pounds and $10,000 of extra JUNK. The old diesel Cruze weighed a whopping 3500 pounds.

Weird that the diesel is only offered in the range-topping model here. And, of course, only with an automatic... Bet the Belgians can get one with a manual trans and crank windows.

Seems GM is trying to lure away some of VWs pissed off customers.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    A Cruze diesel will never pencil out to being a better deal than the Mirage. Let's say the combined EPA rating of the Cruze is 45mpg. The Mirage's combined EPA rating is 40mpg. Using $3.00 a gallon as the cost of fuel for both models the Mirage costs $8.33 per thousand miles more to drive than the Cruze. I think your guess of about $10k difference between the MSRP of the Mirage and Cruze is a solid number. It would take 1,200,000 miles before you saved $10k in fuel compared to driving the Mirage. The reality is the only reason to buy a diesel Cruze would be you just gotta have one. With gasoline being cheaper than diesel consistently a diesel Cruze might actually be more expensive per 1,000 miles than the Mirage in fuel costs.
    I made similar calculations comparing Mirage to car with better MPG and cheaper price, Prius C which is more likely to complete in terms of TOC. For C it would take 300 to 500k to get even, depending on maintainance and gas cost. If you are young male under 24, living in high density metropolitan area even at $5/gal any savings on gas from C will be wiped out by additional insurance costs, even if you uber, deliver pizza and newspapers and rack 60k a year.

The only car which could compete with Mirage is Spark or perhaps Versa due to lower maintenance costs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Why are diesel engines a $7,000 luxury item nowadays???

If GM wants to sell them, they should offer a base, base, BASE model Cruze diesel with nothing but cloth seats, cruise control, AC, and a manual trans! Call it the 'Cruze CS'...the Commuter Special!

I'll bet they'd sell a bunch of them at, say...$19,000?
    Maybe not because at that price it will not be competitive to similarly stripped down econobox. At $25k they are competing against hybrids by offering better value and drivability and similar MPG for people with long highway commutes.

Thanks to german imports there's also a perception of diesel as luxury, so it is a good way to hide costs too. Diesel Cruze looks pretty good when compared against Audi, BMW or Jetta.

IMHO they should offer it as Buick

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)