Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming To The Defense Of The Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To the people who say its noisy I just let them ride in my 2008 Dodge Caliber that car is noisy can give you a screaming head ache in no time because it SCREAMS My wifes Mirage is VERY quite.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Mirage is just as noisy as most cars, there are quieter cars but if the Mirage was too quiet I would be tearing out the sound insulation for weight reduction.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    After getting this car, Craig's List is a booring exercise in futility. What am I supposed to be defending? I can drive an hour on a 55 mph road on 1 gallon of gas, last paid $2.369 per gallon. Transportation issues, SOLVED!

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The way I got Hooked on small cars started with my 1968 Beatle . And then my 1980 ford Feista and then about three years ago I got a 1993 Festiva I was Hooked! Because I loved the small car and the way they handled and the Gas mileage and at that time gas was Really going up over 4.00 a Gal so I loved the MPGs !!! So when the Mirage came out And I had my Golden opportunity to get a New 2014 Mirage I went for it.
    But if you conpair those three cars with the 014 Mirage my mirage has way more things standard that all those cars didn't have like AC and Electric windows a rear wiper Bluetooth track control etc! So the mirage is a really advanced car and it's far nicer! So I fully Agree with the Frist Post!!! If these consumer reporters Drove a Festiva they would Praise the Mirage!!!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Festiboi - I read your latest defense of the Mirage in the comments at TTAC. Nicely done!

And nice to see there were more than a couple of people springing to the car's defense and taking the writer to task for the knee jerk put-down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Festiboi - I read your latest defense of the Mirage in the comments at TTAC. Nicely done!

And nice to see there were more than a couple of people springing to the car's defense and taking the writer to task for the knee jerk put-down.
    Yes, Festiboi...very well-played! That site is like the pretentious automotive version of a stitch-and-***** knitting circle where half a dozen guys talk trash about cars they have never driven and would never condescend to own, all while mindlessly professing their undying love for any used Honda or Toyota.

I have tried getting on that site to give you some backup (though you needed no help), but the registration process is as idiotic as the site itself appears to be.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 11-02-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Best handling car I ever owned was a 1959 Corvette. It would do 70 mph around a standard Interstate cloverleaf. Try that today in any car made unless you are talking megabucks. That Corvette was basically a 1953 Chevrolet platform, with threaded steel suspension bushings and 3k mile lube intervals. I would generally double the posted max safe speed in any turn and never lost control of the car. Manual steering and manual drum brakes.

Excess camber causes what I call "camber jacking" which is when the cornering force becomes a lifting force, which can create serious handling issues at cornering limits when traction goes away.

Add to that the total toe which even in specs is excessive. It causes very twitchy handling characteristics, above and beyond the already negative camber jacking issues. In combination I can easily see why many trash the handling, since they have never driven a Mirage with proper alignment specs.

I call the suspension compliant, which may not be well understood. When NASCAR started allowing the use of Bilstein shock absorbers, the teams found they could drop spring rates by 25%, with no loss in handling. In fact the handling was improved and driver fatigue reduced.

How many cheap cars have you seen that did not even allow for the rear door glass to be lowered completely.

How many cheap cars that are only 12 feet 4 inches long that you can load 8 foot lumber inside, or have two6 plus foot 200 plus pound drivers and riders sitting behind each other.

I'm at just over 3 cents a mile in fuel cost today, compared to 1 cent a mile in an Austin Healey Sprite the year I graduated from high school. Now that was a death trap. I made $22.69 for 40 hours work that summer. I make close to 40 times that much in retirement today.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Best handling car I ever owned was a 1959 Corvette. It would do 70 mph around a standard Interstate cloverleaf.
    Best handling car I ever had was an '88 Pontiac Fiero Formula. It was the first, last, and only year where GM ditched the previous Fiero's econo-car suspension and gave it a completely new and unique sports car suspension that was actually befitting of the rest of the car.

Couple that suspension with large wheels, wide tires, low center of gravity, snicky 5-speed manual, and a mid-mounted V6...it was a fun package. The car was mint, and I bought it in 1998 from a wrecking yard after it had experienced a relatively minor engine fire.

Traded it in on a freakin' Kia!

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Reasons I love my mirage.... Yes its not the fastest horse out of the gate, but if you push it, it will perform for you.... It has little idiosyncrasies, but that makes up the feel of the car as a whole package.... Its the cutest little car in any car park, and I've been in love with Mitsubishi for years... Mitsu have a strong following here in Australia, being part of the Asia Pacific has helped that....

Its reasonably easy to upgrade it if you want all the creature comforts, and I did it at a relatively low cost... If you don't like the noise, sound proof it on the cheap.... I am saving right now to buy a second one.... That speaks volumes really... Its comfortable and easy to love.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

You're very welcome Metro. I check the car news almost everyday and was drawn to this article obviously because it's about the Mirage. However, it's the same tired old comments that are on every Mirage article online from people, whom I doubt, have really even sat in the car, let alone drive one.

The amount of support from other folks was surprising, as I was expecting to be driven out of by villagers holding pitchforks!

All of us who frequent these sites are car enthusiasts. It's easy to love a fast or expensive car, and call it a day. I've driven my share of Mustangs and Chevy SS's over the years and they can be a hoot. But to be a car enthusiast, you have to appreciate all aspects of the car industry. There is a beauty to the Mirage. It's an honest-to-goodness car in an era when cars are trying to be something that they are not, and are overly complicated. It's a car that brings us back to basics and the simple premise of driving a car. It takes a real enthusiast to drive a car like the Mirage and to make the most of the car's modest power. Most importantly, the Mirage is a good car. It does everything a good car should do; safely keep up with freeway driving, offer plenty of room, it seems durable, and saves money while doing so. Anyone who doesn't appreciate that isn't a real enthusiast.

It's been said that designing a compact, economy car is one of the greatest challenges for designers and engineers. It has to be roomy while being easy to park. It has to have good fuel economy whilst being driveable day-to-day. It has to be rugged to survive the potential neglect it'll receive. And it has to do all of that while being cheap to build and still profitable. I think Mitsubishi did a fine job

Anyway, I guess I was a little fed up! Thank you for the support

11. The Following User Says Thank You to festiboi For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-05-2015)