Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the tires the weakest part in this car's handling?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Are the tires the weakest part in this car's handling?

I can live with the body roll, which you can actually learn to use to your advantage. The steering is okay, not the most direct, but not the worst either, and it firms up nicely at speed. And with the manual, you can always control the revs on the engine, helping you in and out of corners.

But the part that I feel makes it be skitterish is the low-resistance tires. You can feel them literally slide under pressure. That, and their tiny contact patch makes it a bit wooly. Fun, true, but sometimes a bit hairy.

Those of you who've changed tires and upsized wheel diameter and width, can you confirm this is the case? If so, I will eventually then move up to 15" or even 16" wheels, as long as I don't screw up the geometry.

Whaddaya guys think?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think performance and low rolling resistance tires are not going to mix well.

I do around town type driving with my Mirage, with an occasional short highway trip, and find the tires just fine for that use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My tires seem to not get jittery much until I get up above 80 and encounter curves or lane changes on the freeways. Maybe being warmer in San Antonio has an effect causing this feeling at lower speeds, or you drive fast like me.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    NO. Absolutely not.

Although the tires are in fact low rolling resistance, I can corner with the stock tires almost as good as my 185 even my 205 wide tires.

Although, obviously, there is a lot more confidence in the wider tires, the stock tires are definitely not the weakest link. IMO the springs and struts/shocks are and the lack of a rear sway bar.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dunno, man. I still feel that tire grip is the weakest part. Yes, spring rates, damping and anti-roll would help, but in the end I feel the tires giving way. I can get the car in a nice lean, body-rolling like an old Volkswagen Quantum but stable, and then the rear tires decide to quit it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How are the OEM tires in the rain and/or cold? Our Yaris came with the Bridgestone RE92s from the factory and while they had decent grip and steering response in nice weather, that was all I liked about them. They were super loud, had a harsh ride and no traction in the rain and cold (lots of unintentional wheelspin and ABS intervention).

Costco and Discount Tire don't seem to have anything, and TireRack only has the Dunlops and the Bridgestones in 165/65-14 ... has anyone found any other alternatives? I usually like to use Michelins but the closest size in a Defender is a 175/65-14 which will have the speedo a little out of whack, and there's nothing available in the usual "plus zero" of 175/60-14.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm definitely considering moving up +1 or +2 when these tires are mostly used up...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess my years with the mustang has just numbed my driving skills (for the better).

There's this turn that I always drive into. Posted speed limit is 20mph. It's pretty much a double right angle, right/left/right street, not more than 1/4 mile from start to finish. Black top road, maybe angled a % or two.

Back in the (2012 v6) mustang, stock 17" wheels and tires, at 40mph (twice posted limit), with TC off, the front will start losing grip and I may end up breaking the grip on my rear tires depending on how soon I mash on the gas.

In the mirage, I can do 40-45 without losing front grip, from what I can feel. I may be able to push 50mph. I'll try next time.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    my guess is when you get better tires, you'll instantly realize how much you want to upgrade the suspension, then you'll want a turbo etc. etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed.

But what people forget to upgrade is their driving skills.