Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mirage fuel-economy driving tips

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    Is idling at start up for 15 seconds better for fuel economy than driving right away?

From Ecomodder.com's 100+ Hypermiling Tips:

"87) Avoid 'warm up' idling

Don't idle your engine to warm it on a cold day. An idling engine gets zero miles per gallon.

Start to drive - under light loads - as soon as the engine is running smoothly (usually immediately). It's a more efficient way to warm the engine and entire drivetrain, including tires."
    My mechanic thinks it is better for engine longevity too. Cold idling facilitates carbon buildup.

He suggests to idle it for 30-40sec just enough for oil to get pumped and then drive it off avoiding load. This is for normal conditions, not artic cold starts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by rusty joe View Post
    So what is the optimal speed to keep my mirage at on the hwy to get optimal mileage?
    Rule of thumb: the best cruising fuel economy happens at the lowest speed you can stay in top gear. Beyond that, the faster you go, the more you burn.

Thread: Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)