Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air intake for MAF Mirages.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Air intake for MAF Mirages.

So I've been playing around with my intake for a bit now. First by removing the snorkus and baffle box from the airbox, and plugging the passage feeding into the baffle box. Then I ran the airbox only with no filter. Although the OBD live read-outs showed minimal to no difference in airflow, air temperatures, engine load percentage and the such, a difference could definitely be felt in response as less and less of the intake system was present.

So now I'll be looking into making an intake solution. I probably won't sell it, but I'll try and provide a write-up (if I can remember) and other details. I'll be opting for stock size intake ducting for now, but replacing the airbox and rubber intake tubing with aluminum intercooler/intake piping in the appropriate diameters.

But what I want to know from anyone who did an intake on the MAF Mirage is:

- did a CEL come on?
    - if so, what were the codes given?
    - did the car negatively at any given instance (cruising, city v.s. highway, WOT, hot v.s. cold, etc)?

I'm just thinking that since the Speedlab Intake is for MAP only, I might as well find a solution that incorporates the MAF for those unwilling to do a MAP conversion (if possible). As always, input and information is always welcome.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about, so take everything here with a grain of sugar.

Because you're already planning on using aluminum/intercooler piping, you're already helping the intake by giving air a smooth passage.

Because you live in canada you may want to think about how much time out of the year do you have COLD weather vs WARM weather. You may benefit from the "warm air intake" the other guys are talking about if you have more cold than warm weather.

I have yet to take a look at the location of the MAF sensor, but there is a science to where it is located. I would suggest locating it at about the same distance/location as its original place.

The MAF sensor, IIRC, should be a tad better compared to a MAP because it is actually reading CFM and not pressure and most MAFs have Air Intake Temp sensors built in. No idea why you want a MAP?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about, so take everything here with a grain of sugar.

Because you're already planning on using aluminum/intercooler piping, you're already helping the intake by giving air a smooth passage.

Because you live in canada you may want to think about how much time out of the year do you have COLD weather vs WARM weather. You may benefit from the "warm air intake" the other guys are talking about if you have more cold than warm weather.

I have yet to take a look at the location of the MAF sensor, but there is a science to where it is located. I would suggest locating it at about the same distance/location as its original place.

The MAF sensor, IIRC, should be a tad better compared to a MAP because it is actually reading CFM and not pressure and most MAFs have Air Intake Temp sensors built in. No idea why you want a MAP?
    About the piping, you are right, but the gains are in in throttle response more than power and torque. May also lead to high air velocity which could be why the MAF trips out.

I'll just put the box back in before winter.

There are 2 parallel plates before the MAF that smoothen out he air flow before hitting the sensor. I intend on replicating the whole design by inserting plates and placing the sensor at the right position in relation to the original piping diameter. Also trying to retain stock or near stock piping size.

MAP people get WAY more tuning power out of their ECUs. Read it up in the MAF v.s. MAP thread.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'd ask one of the guys with the speedlab intake to take some pictures and measurements for you. Their gains are dyno proven. It would be an ideal place to start rather than just guessing. As you probably know, pipe diameter and length are both important. It also appears the speedlab intake has a resonance chamber on it which probably helps out too.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Warm air intake? Hold on...As far as I know, colder air is better, makes for a denser mix.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    Warm air intake? Hold on...As far as I know, colder air is better, makes for a denser mix.
    for power colder is better for mpgs warmer is better

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    for power colder is better for mpgs warmer is better
    Gotcha. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I'd ask one of the guys with the speedlab intake to take some pictures and measurements for you. Their gains are dyno proven. It would be an ideal place to start rather than just guessing. As you probably know, pipe diameter and length are both important. It also appears the speedlab intake has a resonance chamber on it which probably helps out too.
    There is no harm in asking, but don't be surprised if they give you a cold shoulder. Most shops would not give any information out mainly because they want to sell you their product.

If I had the $ and time, I would dyno my car and fab my own intake, header, and exhaust. Then dyno afterwards. Since we've got one of the most talented tuners in the world in my backyard, I'd probably ask him to spend a few hours playing with a tune.

When I win the lottery, I'll let y'all know my results.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I should. But why wreck the fun? Plus, I'm not going for anything big here since forced induction is in the future. I just want more throttle response for Solo2. I expect minimal power gains so that's not the focus. Also, bigger piping could mess around with the MAF sensor read-out for various reasons (flow vs density, air velocity, etc....) So I won't upsize by too much. Maybe I'll just take the biggest intake piping I.D. and use it for reference. I'll be starting basic and working up from there. I just want more throttle response and any other gains are icing. Also staying SRI-style so I'll be feeding through the grill.

I'll still give thought to contacting Speedlab later and maybe searching for power, but for now, I'm just looking for something to fudge around with.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fudge it, sent an email anyways. Also asked them how much to get a 3-1 header to my house.