Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push to Start issues! (After new head unit installation)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Push to Start issues! (After new head unit installation)

I need any and all input. So, when I got my new headunit installed the installer messed something up in the vehicle so now after driving after a couple of miles of driving the car after start up. The key logo pops up in the dash cluster, sound beeps, and the push to start button blinks and the stereo turns off with all of that jazz. It still starts and shuts off, thankfully. But this is REALLY annoying and I work all week so I can't take in to the place where I got my headunit installed to have them look at it. Any ideas?

Last edited by Joshrcrow; 05-23-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshrcrow View Post
    I know the title is pretty vague, but I need any and all input. So, when I got my new headunit installed the installer messed something up in the vehicle so now after driving after a couple of miles of driving the car after start up. The key logo pops up in the dash cluster, sound beeps, and the push to start button blinks and the stereo turns off with all of that jazz. It still starts and shuts off, thankfully. But this is REALLY annoying and I work all week so I can't take in to the place where I got my headunit installed to have them look at it. Any ideas?
    Sounds to me like there is a short in the wiring of the sensor, or when they were installing the aftermarket head unit they bumped the module's connector semi-loose.
    The module connector is back there somewhere, but I've yet to delve that deep into the dash of my car (mainly because I've yet to find a handbook on it from any of the major publishers) but I'd advise taking it into the mitsu place, and seeing what they say for sure because while you may be able to start, and stop it now...you may not later.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just find it really weird that it will start up perfectly fine and within a couple of miles of driving everything will go haywire. However, something I didn't mention is that this happening on and off. When I drove home from work last night everything was completely fine. The installer told me that what MIGHT be the issue is that when installing the system he had the key in his pocket while the vehicle was on so he was sitting in the vehicle at all times with the key and he said he might have to reprogram the key. I'm going to try driving with the additional key Mitsu gave me and see if that clears up the issue, maybe the key I'm using now just needs to be reprogrammed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the manual talks about creating/syncing a new key.

You may want to try those steps. If those steps don't work, dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you think they would charge me to fix this? I really don't want this to turn into a big electrical issue that was permanently screwed up by the installer that is out of warranty, I'm going by on Tuesday so I hope this is an easy fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I think the manual talks about creating/syncing a new key.

You may want to try those steps. If those steps don't work, dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why don't you read the manual and follow the steps on syncing the key?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agree with the advice to read up on syncing the key to the car.

If that is unsuccessful, I'd start with the installer who did the stereo. Sounds like the car was trouble free before the install. Problems directly after belong to the installer to fix, or pay for.

I'm not sure what reaction the dealer will have. If the problem is with something the installer did, there very well may be a charge. If the problem is related to a warrantied item that is defective, the warranty should cover it - unless - something done as part of the install caused the warrantied part to fail. Really a gray area.

I hope re-syncing the key solves the problem for you. Would save you from being in the middle between the installer and the dealer, each blaming the other for the issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll try that but I don't think that's the issue. It starts up perfectly fine and it only does this when I have sitting out in the heat (96 here in SC today). No problems when it's cool in the morning or the evening. I even tried using my other key, no luck. So it must have something to do with the temperature. I can't say for sure, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Why don't you read the manual and follow the steps on syncing the key?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will try it out when I have some sunlight tomorrow.

The thing is with this entire situation is that my sales person actually told me to have installed by anybody but the dealership and I got it installed where he recommended. Since he did this, assuming he is still employed at the dealership, I can 'throw him under the bus' because I wanted to get it done at the dealership but he encouraged me NOT to do so and that it won't affect my warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Agree with the advice to read up on syncing the key to the car.

If that is unsuccessful, I'd start with the installer who did the stereo. Sounds like the car was trouble free before the install. Problems directly after belong to the installer to fix, or pay for.

I'm not sure what reaction the dealer will have. If the problem is with something the installer did, there very well may be a charge. If the problem is related to a warrantied item that is defective, the warranty should cover it - unless - something done as part of the install caused the warrantied part to fail. Really a gray area.

I hope re-syncing the key solves the problem for you. Would save you from being in the middle between the installer and the dealer, each blaming the other for the issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hope that works for you.

I noticed in an earlier post that the problem seems to be heat related, which would be a good argument for it being something related to one of the components in the car, rather than the install.

When dealing with car salespeople there is one simple way to tell if they are lying - their lips are moving.

I'd guess that any attempt to throw your sales person under the bus would invoke the above.