Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death to flies - why does it not come like this stock?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Death to flies - why does it not come like this stock?

OK, love my brand new Mirage. Used to have an old 2000 Mazda Protege, that I never thought about in regards to this issue.

Driving on the freeway, love bugs and other flies see my car and go straight for the vents on the front fascia it seems. They get through and splatter all on the radiator/mini-radiator. This..does not make me happy.

Without a guide book (cookiemonster DID provide a cool link to Mitsubishi's service manual that you have to pay 20 bucks for one day access though), I just started unbolting stuff and removing retainer pins (don't know if that is the name for them, and was eventually able to remove the whole front fascia of the Mirage.

I did this because I plan on putting a fly screen barrier between the fascia and the radiator(s). Too bad the fascia/bumper does not come stock like this. Seems like it should be standard thing (at least in the hot, sunny states).

Has anyone else pondered about doing this/already done it? Any advice on best applying it? I just took off the front fascia yesterday to make sure I was able to get it off before buying the supplies my next upcoming day off.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The radiator looking thing infront of the radiator is the AC condenser. That's something you want to keep safe - not so much from bugs but from rocks. AC repairs are not cheap.

We used to have some neighbors that would go to Florida and around the south every winter. They would just tape plastic screen material to the car and that seemed to work well enough to keep the bugs out.

I wonder how hard it would be to put something a bit more substantial (like mesh for concrete) to keep the rocks out and then a bit of screen over it to keep the bugs out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Post pics when you do this Charlie

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would be great if you could post pix of where you unbolt stuff.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I definitely thought of my fellow Mirage owners here on the forum. Will post something up!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    We used to have some neighbors that would go to Florida and around the south every winter. They would just tape plastic screen material to the car and that seemed to work well enough to keep the bugs out.

I wonder how hard it would be to put something a bit more substantial (like mesh for concrete) to keep the rocks out and then a bit of screen over it to keep the bugs out.
    Did your neighbors just adhere the screen material on the outside, or did they actually put it in the inside?

I can only assume if I am successful in my attempt, that the fly screen will not only keep bugs out, but any miscellaneous debris including pebbles and rocks. We shall see if it is strong enough.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is stuff at Hardware stores called gutter guard that looks great in grill openings. Looks like Ford Focus ST mesh grill material when painted black. This with screen behind it would be functional and look great. Im gonna do some experimenting as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They just stuck it on the outside. They were in their 90s so they didn't care about scratching the paint haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One thing that needs care with internal mounting of any bug screening is that it is removable for cleaning. Bugs will clog any screen - especially in Florida - and prevent airflow to the radiator.

I think that is why so many of the screens are mounted outside the vehicle. Easy removal for cleaning (frequent cleaning).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update:

11:30 PM here at the time of this writing. I am TIRED!!

I totally underestimated the time and effort it would take to implement my idea! I mounted the screen on the inside. It just took so much time to..ah hell, you all will see. I did remember to take pics of the ordeal step by step.

I will post something up either this Sunday or Monday (I hope!).

-Charlie-