Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most fuel efficient car under $_____?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    Yeah, it's essentially a hybrid Yaris.
    That it is . We had an '07 Prius 2 , that has the 1.5 ltr..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    Yeah, if you get into the boost a lot, it kind of underwhelms, but that's true of most little turbos (like the Juke). But stay out of the boost and it should do pretty well (and it would be nice to have the power for short merge ramps and etc.).

They do offer the EcoBoost up there; they're in your configurator, just hard to find. Go to it and build an SE with a 5-speed manual, then go to the "Exterior" tab and add the "SE EcoBoost Fuel Economy Package".

Here the sticker on one is $17,900 but there are usually $2k+ of rebates and etc so it is around $156xx.
    Ecoboost is a bit of a misnomer. It's eco *or* boost.

To avoid detonation, as soon as it starts to build boost, it runs pig rich.

So if you drive them lightly, they get good mileage. I can get 30MPG out of my Parents' 2013 Escape 2.0 AWD on trips .. by driving it lightly. I have found that manually shifting down and dropping a gear or two on hills and letting the engine wind a bit is better for mileage than letting it lug.

They are geared pretty tall (3.07 gears on 26'' tires). Great for flat roads when you are cruising and drawing a vacuum. But when you come to ahill, it will try to pull the hill in 6th gear. The engine has NO problem doing it; there is no shortage of low end torque. But, it will run super super rich when doing so.