Thread: Long term review.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Long term review.

After owning a 2014 Mirage for seven months now, I feel that I owe this great little car a little recognition.
    Let me start out by saying I have owned several cars over the years, many of which were much more expensive than the mirage.
    With high gas prices and thinking about retiring some day, I took a peak at the mirage. The low price and mpg were definitely the big draw here. I was not super impressed with how solid the car was, but figured the kids are grown up and it would be just a commuter car for me.
    I must say fit and finish are as good or better than any new car i have bought in the past. I am very pleased with all of the standard features of the car. My wife and I love the car and leave her 2014 Galant sitting most of the time in favor of taking this. I love the freedom this honest little car provides. After 17000 miles, I have driven the mirage through just about any kind of weather Western New York can throw at it. Does a great job even without snow tires. Also, the little car hit a pretty large buck and not only was drivable after, but minimum damage. Over all, I have grown to have a lot of respect for this awesome little car! One thing I would change, it could use a center mounted dome light. Very dark in the back seat!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outtahours For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (01-12-2015),MetroMPG (01-12-2015),Tinker1980 (01-12-2015)

Thanks for the review, outtahours.

I'm curious: would you have been interested in the car with gas nearing $2/gallon in the US as it is now? Nobody predicted that!

Glad to hear the deer incident wasn't too bad. I've never hit one but have come close a few times!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Gas is cheap (for now)!

Quote Originally Posted by outtahours View Post
    ...With high gas prices...
    Actually gas prices have been ridiculously low lately. That said, instead of thinking:

I should get a bigger car
    I thought:

My usual full tank* is less than 1000 pesos** now? Sweeeeeet!

*25 liters
    ** about US $23

So yeah.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I almost got a deer on a lonely, dark, Oklahoma backroad the 3rd day I owned the car. The small size and good brakes ensured I would drive my new car with no dents.

Gas is $1.68 in Tulsa right now. I can fill up from one bar on the gauge for about $12.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think that I would buy the car at today's gas prices. Something about owning what could be the least expensive car available. Maybe it brings back memories of being 21 with my brand new Dodge colt. ( I got 53mpg with that one too). And the freedom of taking off on a road trip with no worries about gas or breaking down. Fun times.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by outtahours View Post
    I think that I would buy the car at today's gas prices. Something about owning what could be the least expensive car available. Maybe it brings back memories of being 21 with my brand new Dodge colt. ( I got 53mpg with that one too). And the freedom of taking off on a road trip with no worries about gas or breaking down. Fun times.
    I think "Today's Gas Prices" won't last forever - business as usual soon enough.

I do like the way I can get in and drive the car, without worry.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've always been into small cars, I think my MR2 (1987) is my most missed small car, but a Miata will be the next small car I buy if I get a sports car and gas prices stay low. I would like a winter beater like a 88-91 civic wagon awd, a justy, swift.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I agree with Tinker1980. Its incredibly short sighted to purchase a vehicle based on the assumption that gas prices won't increase. Yet, someone I know just made this mistake the other day... *sigh*
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

What'd they buy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If gasoline prices were to stay low, I'd still choose a Mirage. It's fun to tootle around town in.