Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Darin's review notes: base 2014 Mirage 5-speed manual (Mitsubishi Canada loaner)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sounds great. I can't wait to see the full write up!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Probably not a single write-up, but more posts/threads on various topics.

Also, in the last 2 weeks, the Mirage covered 1619 km / 1006 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wow, it wasn't until that I picture that I noticed the similarity between the '95-00 Geo Metro/Pontiac Firefly/Suzuki Swift hatches. Not a bad thing, they were always attractive in their time, but easy to see why critics accuse the Mirage of looking so '90's

You've quite a project ahead of you with all of that info and data. I'm looking forward to seeing what your honest take on the car is

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I had a chance to do some "spirited" driving in the Mirage in a time/speed/distance rally this weekend.
    I can see your concern on the light right/left/right corners. However, the more you drive the car into these corners, the more you know the cars' limits. Once you're comfortable with the limits, the body roll isnt too bad.

ASC really gets annoying during a standstill hard takeoff or when taking S turns aggressively during the specific exits.

The good news is: the ASC really does work.

Nah, the body roll is still bad. You just get used to it after a while is what you're saying.

Fortunately, it's nothing a rear sway bar can't fix.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Notes on styling... what do people think of the Mirage?

While I had the car, I set out to ask 50 people what they thought about its styling.

I failed. (Only managed to interview 32 people.)

I was fully expecting confirmation of my own opinion that the Mirage is not a particularly attractive car... and I was proven wrong.

This one deserves its own thread, posted here:

Thread: Survey SAYS! (I asked 32 people what they thought of the Mirage's styling...)

my fuel economy in the Mirage: 46% above the EPA rating

More from my notes with the Mirage... I added a fuel log entry:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/em-fue...vehicleid=7497

In MPG US, left to right, that's:

52.0 ... 60.0 ... 54.6 ... 53.0

That works out to 54 mpg US = 4.36 L/100 km = 23 km/L cumulative (not average) over that total distance, or 46% better than the car's EPA combined rating of 37 mpg.

Driving notes...

This result is pretty representative of basic "eco-driving" techniques that anybody can do (with the exception of the 2nd tank, which was the fill-up we did for the SMCC economy run. But that was only 60 mpg using lots of hypermiling tricks on a very demanding route, so it didn't actually skew the results very much).

Ecodriving techniques were used, like:

• never idling for more than a few seconds,
    • smooth, moderate acceleration & braking,
    • shifting into top gear, even at low cruising speeds (eg. 30 mph / 50 km/h), downshifting later if more power is required,
    • minimizing brake use -- this is key in urban driving -- letting off the gas early to coast as much as practical toward slowdowns/stops/turns, depending on traffic; sometimes in neutral when a long coast was wanted, sometimes in gear when more decel was wanted, taking advantage of fuel-cut mode.
    • reading conditions ahead to keep from wasting momentum by rushing into avoidable slowdowns, eg. choosing the lane with the best "flow", timing traffic lights, etc.,
    • sticking to the speed limit (or very close to it) -- this is a key technique for highway driving
    • turning off the engine at long stops (when safe),
    • stuff like that

I specifically wanted to show what was possible to "average" drivers who want to focus on efficiency, but not go crazy. Aside from that short 2nd tank, no "hardcore" techniques were used like engine-off coasting, or pulse & glide. I never draft other cars/trucks.

Pretty darned good for 1478 km / 918 miles of mixed driving. About 600 of those km were on the freeway @ ~60-65 mph; the rest was a mix of city/suburban driving and secondary highways (80 km/h / ~50 mph limit) .

There's more where that came from!

And I'll also point out, this wasn't my "normal" driving style. I typically throw more "advanced" techniques in the mix, eg. engine off coasting up to stops, turns -- a shifter-mounted kill switch is one of the first mods I do to any car. That's a huge fuel-saving technique (and yes, it has risks which can be potentially dangerous if you're not aware of them... lawyer made me say that).

Used in my typical fashion, my own results would have probably been around the 65 mpg US mark like 3dplane is getting in his Mirage, or...

(From: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post14162 )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

jamiec (07-26-2014)

aero mods

Name:  mirage-mods-collage.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  44.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Hey, will you also walk us through the aero mods?

I would like to learn from your experience.
    Details posted in a separate thread:

Mirage aero mods for better fuel economy: 4.5% improvement @ 90 km/h / 56 mph

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Donut (08-08-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A CAR WITHOUT AC? My wife would throw me out of the house if I brought that home! LOL A Nice Mirage metro MPG
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    A CAR WITHOUT AC? My wife would throw me out of the house if I brought that home! LOL A Nice Mirage metro MPG
    Lol Mine needs the heated seats or I'll be sleeping in the car from now on... which I suppose would suck in the winter

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)