Thread: Protective sticker marks are visible

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Protective sticker marks are visible

I scheduled an oil change for tomorrow and told them how I could see the lines around where the edges of the protective stickers were during shipping. The delaer said they would look at it and see if they can get them off, (haha dirty joke ) maybe have to wheel it. I've taken it through multiple automatic car washes and they still show up. I assume they did not prep the vehicle, since it was cold and tons of snow; also they hadn't had the car very long either. I suppose they could have still pulled it inside and detailed the body since I came back the next day to pick it up.

Last edited by RedDE5Spd; 06-03-2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Post wasn't finished.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    I scheduled an oil change for tomorrow and told them how I could see the lines around where the edges of the protective stickers were during shipping. The delaer said they would look at it and see if they can get them off, (haha dirty joke ) maybe have to wheel it. I've taken it through multiple automatic car washes and they still show up. I assume they did not prep the vehicle, since it was cold and tons of snow; also they hadn't had the car very long either. I suppose they could have still pulled it inside and detailed the body since I came back the next day to pick it up.
    Same here, lines are clearly visible even after several car washes.

Where are these lines? On the hood/bonnet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine still has them too. On mine, they are clearly visible on the left and right rear quarter panels in between the rear windows and the hatch window, which I'm guessing was the hatch window protector. Haven't really noticed them elsewhere on mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Where are these lines? On the hood/bonnet?

Sides under windows, and 3 meet in the back near the hatch between the rear door and above the rear lights. I thought it was just my local mitsu dealership not properly preping the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine were only noticeable between the doors and hatch, I had two adjacent areas on either side.

I also asked the parts manager about what changes I can make without worrying about voiding the warranty. He said, and every dealer is different, that as long as I didn't reprogram the CPU or make "major" mechanical enhancements I should be good. I told him the biggest thing I was considering was the Stivo resonator and muffler kit, he recommended to me to change it neatly enough that I could replace with my stock muffler and resonator if it came back in for related warranty work.

He was telling me about a customer that purchased a base Lancer and added a turbo expecting the warranty to still be in effect on the drivetrain and was denied, for obvious reasons.

arthurdents- You are correct in assuming the dealer did not prep the car. My dealer wheeled/waxed my car today per my request after I pointed the marks out to them and poof they are gone.

I'm happy and shouldn't be back to the dealer for anything in at least 6 months, longer if I don't continue having them do the oil changes.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Warranty claims become cloudy once you start modifying your car.

VW was having issues with their diesel high pressure fuel pumps failing. When these went, they sent metal shavings throughout the fuel system, resulting in a repair bill that was about $10,000.

While you'd think this would be a warrantied repair (while under warranty) many dealers claimed that the failure was because the owner had inadvertently added some gasoline to the tank, instead of diesel fuel. They sent fuel samples off for testing to determine "fault" until they started to see a pattern of failures (and bad publicity) and changed their initial approach from the assumption that the fault was the customers, to, a warrantied repair unless shown that the fuel did indeed cause the melt down.

Mazda had a pattern of denying alternator claims if the owner had installed any aftermarket stereo equipment, claiming that the aftermarket equipment drew too much current, causing the alternator to fail prematurely.

While some of these type situations are probably legit denials of warranty coverage, adding aftermarket stuff to your vehicle opens up the potential for a dealer to point the finger at other than the manufacturer of the vehicle. Using the wrong fuel in your vehicle is never a good idea, regardless of who you expect to pay for the error.

If you've ever seen the modification needed to a vehicle's wiring to install an aftermarket remote start, you will understand why doing so will be a good reason for a manufacturer to reject electrical related warranty claims.

Likewise, if you add vinyl racing stripes to your hood, let it bake in the sun for a few years, and expect the manufacturer to cover paint fade issues when the vinyl is removed, you're probably in for some interesting discussions.

With longer warranties on vehicles, this becomes more of an issue. Each person has to evaluate their mods to see what impact they have on warranty coverage. Discussing mods with the dealership - beforehand - is a good idea.