Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lumheader Exhaust?

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Sorry for double post, but this is what the Australian mirage exhaust looks like:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2013-MITS...3af5803&_uhb=1

First is the cat, then the centre resonator, then a tiny rear muffler(if you could call it that)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup. That mid resonator is more than likely what gives us the hollow sound I was describing earlier.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anyone got a body length measurement on the stock mid muffler?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    That being said, I've googled it but I can't find a pic of the undercarriage of our cars. Anyone know where I can find one?
    Tons of good under car pics in this thread:

Thread: Hello everyone from US/2014 Cloud White Mirage ES

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    u.s. spec mirage has a 21 inch long mid muffler, thinking of replacing it with a magnaflow round muffler, keeping stock exhaust pipe diameter for now. my main aim for now is more sound.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btavish View Post
    u.s. spec mirage has a 21 inch long mid muffler, thinking of replacing it with a magnaflow round muffler, keeping stock exhaust pipe diameter for now. my main aim for now is more sound.

If you do this, take a look at the old muffler and see if it is a straight through type. You might have to tie a nut on to a string and lower it down into the muffler and see if it comes right out the other end. If it is a straight through type muffler then there might not be much to gain by changing it. I notice at idle, there is a nice exhaust note coming out of my Mirage, and this is the reason why I think it may be a low restriction muffler from the factory.

I need to go out and measure the diameter of the exhaust. I imagine it is either 1 3/4" or 2".
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    If you do this, take a look at the old muffler and see if it is a straight through type. You might have to tie a nut on to a string and lower it down into the muffler and see if it comes right out the other end. If it is a straight through type muffler then there might not be much to gain by changing it. I notice at idle, there is a nice exhaust note coming out of my Mirage, and this is the reason why I think it may be a low restriction muffler from the factory.

I need to go out and measure the diameter of the exhaust. I imagine it is either 1 3/4" or 2".
    it would be nice if it was a straight through design, but once i get a chance i will definitely check it out and weigh it also.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it is a straight through type muffler then there might not be much to gain by changing it.
    I'd pay to get rid of the hollow sound that seems to come from this part of the car.

I notice at idle, there is a nice exhaust note coming out of my Mirage, and this is the reason why I think it may be a low restriction muffler from the factory.
    The idle sound from the exhaust tip does, in fact, sound good.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I'd pay to get rid of the hollow sound that seems to come from this part of the car.

The idle sound from the exhaust tip does, in fact, sound good.

I am going to remove the resonator at the end of the exhaust first. I'll give it a bit and see how it is. If it's not good enough then I'll look at my options to replace the muffler. Dynomax has a muffler now that looks VERY appealing to me. It is a straight through muffler, but it has a baffle attached to a spring that decreases the volume when cruising. When you floor it through, the baffle moves out of the way and it is a true straight through muffler. I'm not sure which one I might try, but I do like the idea of this new Dynomax muffler.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Funny I've been following this thread and I don't know if I have a runt but I have zero sound from my exhaust at idle. Weird.