Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Oil Change - was there really..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    UPDATE:

Just over 1000 miles now. Definitely getting ready for my first oil change (so excited!).

Hit a sweet deal, where if I got 5 qts of Mobil 1 full synth (which I wanted already), it would just be an extra $4 for the Mobil1 Extended Performance filter (priced normally at $12.99!)

Still looking around for trustworthy jack stands. There were a set of 2 for $20 by Duralast at Autozone..I thought, this is too cheap to be good and passed up on them. Glad I did, these things get TERRIBLE reviews!

Will be stopping by NAPA store hopefully this weekend to browse.

-Charlie-
    I plan to use Mobile1 full-synth 10w-30. I've always been a fan of Castral Syntec, but decided to go with Mobile1.

Those of you who are Pennzoil fans, doesn't it leave a nasty, gummy build-up in the engine? I keep hearing that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty joe View Post
    I plan to use Mobile1 full-synth 10w-30. I've always been a fan of Castral Syntec, but decided to go with Mobile1.

Those of you who are Pennzoil fans, doesn't it leave a nasty, gummy build-up in the engine? I keep hearing that.
    Why would you use an oil that is a completely different base weight than recommended? And most everything you hear about a brand leaving a build up in an engine is from fan boys of other brands talking crap...

Go do some reading on BITOG if you want to know everything in the world about oil.

I will be using the new Pennzoil Platinum 0w20. Excellent oil at an excellent price point.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Why would you use an oil that is a completely different base weight than recommended?
    The Japanese manual recommends a greater selection of oil viscosities than the U.S. manual ... 10w-30 is one of them

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty joe View Post

Niiice, looks like Mobil 1 is the brand of choice for us practical, pragmatists.

Honestly, I'm sure that as long as you change your oil on a regular basis regardless of brand, our cars will be fine..however, even if there's a small fraction of a % improvement in the additive cocktail recipe in Mobil 1..I'm going to go for it and pay extra. In the whole scheme of things, it is VERY cheap insurance. I don't understand how some people can gasp at the price difference in Mobil 1, but don't blink twice at paying $50+/month for cell phone with data plan. Your car is the one of the most expensive things you will purchase in your life..it deserves the best, so what's a few extra bucks when you spent thousands on the car right??

Right now, my 3 oil brands of choice are Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castral. Again though, I don't think any of these are light years ahead of the 'cheap' brands, the important thing is that we actually change it out!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Niiice, looks like Mobil 1 is the brand of choice for us practical, pragmatists.

Honestly, I'm sure that as long as you change your oil on a regular basis regardless of brand, our cars will be fine..however, even if there's a small fraction of a % improvement in the additive cocktail recipe in Mobil 1..I'm going to go for it and pay extra. In the whole scheme of things, it is VERY cheap insurance. I don't understand how some people can gasp at the price difference in Mobil 1, but don't blink twice at paying $50+/month for cell phone with data plan. Your car is the one of the most expensive things you will purchase in your life..it deserves the best, so what's a few extra bucks when you spent thousands on the car right??

Right now, my 3 oil brands of choice are Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castral. Again though, I don't think any of these are light years ahead of the 'cheap' brands, the important thing is that we actually change it out!

-Charlie-
    I find it funny when people say Mobil1 is too expensive ... but then pay over twice the price a quart for the low end boutique oils (Amsoil OE), which are ultimately not as good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just a tip, make sure you have an oil filter wrench the first time. I think they use Godzilla to install it at the factory!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The PENNZOIL myth is just that . Used Pennzoil for over 25 years and no issues . One car went well over 170,000 miles with extreme driving conditions using mostly PENNZOIL conventional . Valvoline on occasion . The car had 100,00 on it when bought . O.C.s were 3,000 > 4,000 mile intervals .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    The PENNZOIL myth is just that . Used Pennzoil for over 25 years and no issues . One car went well over 170,000 miles with extreme driving conditions using mostly PENNZOIL conventional . Valvoline on occasion . The car had 100,00 on it when bought . O.C.s were 3,000 > 4,000 mile intervals .
    As it stands right now, Pennzoil conventional is probably the BEST conventional oil on the market - and VOA (virgin oil analysis) data puts it a bit better than some synthetic blends. 50 years ago it may have caused sludge buildup.

It routinely provides the lowest wear numbers ever seen in Jeep 4.0 engines. I'm using the Pennzoil conventional yellow bottle in my Focus and Cherokee 4.0 at the moment.

In my car I generally switch back and fourth between 5w-20 conventional in the summer and 0w-20 in the winter. It's always Mobil1 0w-20 because Pennzoil 0w-20 doesn't meet Ford's spec and would likely void my warranty.

The Cherokee doesn't get enough miles to get more than one change a year. So it's whatever is buzzing around the Jeep world. Went 1.5 years or so on Rotella T6 but that was too thick for it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We've been using PENNZOIL Platinum , Ultra and SHELL synthetic for many years . I can sometimes get those under $4 a quart . The PENNZOIL with mail in rebates and the SHELL at BJs Wholesale when on sale . Use these for lawnmowers , snow blower and generator . The Platinum 0w-20 in use with the '11 FIT . Both are S.O.P.U.S. products .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah ... gonna go with Pennzoil YB in 10w-30 for the rest of the summer, and PYB 5w-30 for winter!