Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Oil Change - was there really..

Country
    United States
    Thanks

First Oil Change - was there really..

So this is a question for those of you who have already done their first oil change on their new Mirages.

I am coming up on 1000 miles on my car. There's the advice floating around, that you should change your oil at 500-1000 miles to get out metal shavings/particles that are produced from the engine breaking in.

For those of you who did the first oil change earlier than what is said in the maintainance manual (manual states 3750 miles I believe for serious schedule), did you really find the oil to have metal particulates?

-------------------------------------

I also wanted to get some insight on the scheduled maintanance oil intervals. Manual of course states every 3750 miles on serious maintanance schedule. Since we're supposed to be putting in synth 0w-30, I thought synth was supposed to last longer than conventional?? I was on a 3750 miles schedule for my old Mazda Protege running conventional oil..why would the intervals be the same?

Thanks for any insight guys!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    hello, i also plan on changing my oil at 1000 miles. i have done so on all of my new cars, but im pretty sure our mirages take 0w20 synthetic oil. i also plan on changing the oil at the next 3750 miles just to see how bad it realy is, usualy its still good for a bit so i would say with a good quality oil filter you should be able to go to 7500k no problem. im very picky on this subject so i will probably be changing mine every 5k or so. hope this helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes, I saw metal in my oil at all 3 of my oil changes ... I'm coming to close to 1,000 miles soon, and ready for my 4th change

The US manual allows for other oils besides 0W-20, and does not require synthetic, so my best guess is that the maintenance schedule takes that into account (if people use conventional oils).

The Japanese manual for the Mirage also apparently recommends 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btavish View Post
    hello, i also plan on changing my oil at 1000 miles. i have done so on all of my new cars, but im pretty sure our mirages take 0w20 synthetic oil. i also plan on changing the oil at the next 3750 miles just to see how bad it realy is, usualy its still good for a bit so i would say with a good quality oil filter you should be able to go to 7500k no problem. im very picky on this subject so i will probably be changing mine every 5k or so. hope this helps.
    You know how under the maintainance schedule, there is 'normal' and 'severe' (not sure if those were the two categories exactly). But my driving conditions apparently fall under 'severe'. Do your conditions fall under 'normal' or 'severe'? And did you mean 7500 miles, or as you wrote, 7,500 kilometers (7500k)??

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    Yes, I saw metal in my oil at all 3 of my oil changes ... I'm coming to close to 1,000 miles soon, and ready for my 4th change

The US manual allows for other oils besides 0W-20, and does not require synthetic, so my best guess is that the maintenance schedule takes that into account (if people use conventional oils).

The Japanese manual for the Mirage also apparently recommends 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30.
    Oh man, I hadn't been planning on doing an oil change so soon..I just may have to now!!

-Charlie-

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I never did. Im almost at 5000 km. Ill do it then and put in my favorite oil and continue on its way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    95% of the time, normal schedule,and i ment 7500 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I had a MIRAGE I'd go with a synthetic 0w-20 or a 5w-20 if allowed and go with the SEVERE schedule being a 3 banger in the heat , humidity , etc.. Choice of oil would be PENNZOIL Platinum or Ultra Platinum ( http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/ ) . Second choice Mobil 1 Extended (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...rformance.aspx ) . Both oils can be purchased in 4 or 5 quart jugs for under $30 . Probably stick with the Mitsubishi oil filter . Wonder who that's produced by ? Denso ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would change factory oil at around 1,500 miles and then again at about 6,000 miles . Then regular O.C. between 7,00 and 7,500 miles . Wonder if the factory oil is ENEOS or IDEMITSU or ? ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The way I hear it, synthetic doesn't allow an engine to break in right ... but Pennzoil & Mobil would be great after the break in!

I don't know about the Mitsubishi oil filters tho ... another poster said that they don't have anti-drainback valves ... and other people on the web says that they might be engineered for a great flow rate but poor filtration.