Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maintenance Free Battery??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is an 85 amp alternator. I've been told that alternators can be rebuilt by shops to generate more power than stock, helpful when there is not an easy aftermarket solution I suppose.

Trims DE ES
    Battery 55D23L 55D23L
    Alternator (Amps) 85Amps 85Amps

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/mirage/specifications

-Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The OEM batteries rarely need to be topped-up. I keep an watchfull eye on all fluid levels, and for the first time after two years, added very little distilled water.

The terminals can be cleaned with a moist rag once a year or so, and when completely dry, I apply a little grease or vaseline over the terminals. That prevents the battery acid which comes out of the vents in minute quantities from corroding the terminals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    I wouldn't mind switching to a high capacity Optima-like battery
    Rock Auto has listed a very interesting battery for the Mirage.

Rock Auto: EXIDE FPAGM35 EXIDE EDGE FLAT-PLATE AGM - CCA: 650; BCI Group : 35

Here's what Exide has to say about this design:

Quote Originally Posted by Exide
    Exide Edge AGM Batteries are designed to maximize energy capacity and protect against battery failure, helping them to stay strong and perform like new for longer! The Absorbed Glass Mat design is 100% leak and spill proof because the Electrolyte is permanently held in the glass mat separator instead of free flowing within each cell. Oxygen recombination reduces water loss and reassures maintenance-free performance. From a performance perspective, the AGM battery boasts better recharge capability while providing up to 3 times more starts per cycle and produces more power per cycle.

Why choose an AGM battery?

• Product life lasts up to two times longer
    • Extremely heat and cold tolerant
    • Ideal for vehicles equipped with lots of electronics (heated seats, navigation system, parking assist)
    • Durable - Outstanding vibration resistance
    • Safer - No free-flowing electrolyte or spill hazard
    This sounds like one tough battery. The price at Rock Auto is significantly lower than other vendors I've searched for online, though I wouldn't trust shipping to handle it properly.

More info on AGM batteries at Battery University: BU-201a: Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM)
    Learn what differentiate AGM from other lead acid battery types

AGM technology became popular in the early 1980s as a sealed lead acid battery for military aircraft, vehicles and UPS to reduce weight and improve reliability. The sulfuric acid is absorbed by a very fine fiberglass mat, making the battery spill-proof. This enables shipment without hazardous material restrictions. The plates can be made flat to resemble a standard flooded lead acid pack in a rectangular case; they can also be wound into a cylindrical cell.

AGM has very low internal resistance, is capable to deliver high currents on demand and offers a relatively long service life, even when deep cycled. AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead acid type. While regular lead acid batteries need a topping charge every six months to prevent the buildup of sulfation, AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation and can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. The battery stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge.
    Unless it lasts over twice as long as an ordinary battery, I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mirage battery is not really maintenance free. I actually have not had any modern car with the type the mirage has. It has an old school style as found in my ATV and snowmobile.