Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance Free Battery??

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Maintenance Free Battery??

So I was about to disconnect the battery cables so I could put on some anti-corrosion gel (that red gooey stuff) on the battery terminals since I had a LOT of experience with this particular issue on my old car.

However, right when I was about to, I saw where it says on the battery 'maintenance free battery'.

So I was reading about maintenance free batteries and how they're supposed to not corrode or at the very least, minimal corrosion issues. Anyone who has had a Mirage for a while have any insight into this? Battery terminals still looking good? ANY signs of corrosion?

I'm putting off the gel application for now.

Thanks!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2007 Tiburon had one. In 6 years, never had a corrosion issue at all. Never had to clean them or anything. It also lasted longer than most batteries I've had. Replaced it last winter, so it lasted 6+ years running a full video/audio setup and modified car.

Battery location is about the same in the Mirage, so I see no issue happening on this battery.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The gel won't hurt. I'd still use it just because you have it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMirage View Post
    My 2007 Tiburon had one. In 6 years, never had a corrosion issue at all. Never had to clean them or anything. It also lasted longer than most batteries I've had. Replaced it last winter, so it lasted 6+ years running a full video/audio setup and modified car.

Battery location is about the same in the Mirage, so I see no issue happening on this battery.
    Hmm, sweet! I am still half expecting corrosion, so I will be keeping an eye on the situation!

I may disconnect battery this weekend though to put the gel on anyway.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maintenance free means that you won't have to check electrolyte levels or add distilled water to the battery.

Applying the anti-corrosion grease never hurts. However, in my experience, battery terminals don't start to have issues until the car gets a few years under its belt. If you are already building up corrosion on the positive terminal, you might have an issue with the battery.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If it's maintenance free, then why does the manual state that water needs to be added?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    If it's maintenance free, then why does the manual state that water needs to be added?
    It's possible they switched batteries for the cars (to one that is maintenance free) or they are just covering their bases incase someone installs a battery that requires periodic checking of electrolyte levels and forgets to check.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My battery indicates that it is maintenance free, however the caps come off in the cells where you would add distilled water like the older style batteries. I wouldn't mind switching to a high capacity Optima-like battery and larger alternator and harness eventually, the stock setup doesn't make any extra power beyond what is needed to operate. So I'm hoping a fairly easy upgrade will support an aftermarket stereo system without running dual batteries, partly because I don't know where a second battery could fit lol.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You have the specs for the alternator?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    You have the specs for the alternator?

I've read online that it is an 85 amp model.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.