Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How wheel & tire size and style affect Mirage fuel economy/mileage

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monitor your tire wear carefully. My rears are wearing at half the rate as the fronts, maybe even less than half. The only reason for that is rear axle alignment and inflation pressure.

IF YOUR CAR IS WEARING REAR TIRES RAPIDLY, YOU NEED TO GET THE REAR AXLE ALIGNMENT CORRECTED TO ELIMINATE THE EXCESSIVE REAR TIRE WEAR.

Changing rear tires to wider more grippy tires will reduce the fuel mileage even more than the original Ensaves. I read a bout rediculously rapid rear tire wear, WHICH WILL NOT BE CORRECTED BY REPLACING THE TIRES.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

uheym (03-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deleted user View Post
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monitor your tire wear carefully. My rears are wearing at half the rate as the fronts, maybe even less than half. The only reason for that is rear axle alignment and inflation pressure.

IF YOUR CAR IS WEARING REAR TIRES RAPIDLY, YOU NEED TO GET THE REAR AXLE ALIGNMENT CORRECTED TO ELIMINATE THE EXCESSIVE REAR TIRE WEAR.

Changing rear tires to wider more grippy tires will reduce the fuel mileage even more than the original Ensaves. I read a bout rediculously rapid rear tire wear, WHICH WILL NOT BE CORRECTED BY REPLACING THE TIRES.

regards
    mech
    I just ran 185/55 15 Toyo Proxes on my Mirage for the last 25k miles. I did rotate once when I got Wagner Ceramic brake pads installed at 15k miles. The rears have 75% tread and the fronts are at less than 50% tread. Though one did chop internally (probably due to me hitting curbs because the car is so short on right turns) and pot holes while driving fast that I couldn't avoid. I just ordered some new tires, Kumho 2185143 185/55R15 ECSTA 4X II TREAD CODE: KU22 (4XII) for my car... I asked them for the recommended PSI for my car based on weight and driving conditioned I gave them.

I was answered with, "Due to liability reasons, we can only recommend that you follow the psi recommendations specified in your car's warranty book.".

Well I took the time to do the math...

Name:  IMAG0542.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  81.4 KB

I'll be running 38 in the Front and 36 in the Rear...

http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...C-6EB344DCD048

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Walmart in canada is running an excellent promotion on 155 winter tires for $40 a tire. That's the cheapest I've ever seen winter tires. That being said, the suggested tires are 165. I'm pretty sure this is a difference of one inch (14-15)

Can I buy the inexpensive walmart tires? Would they fit on my rims or would I have to buy cheap metal ones? My soon to be insurer offers a discount for applying winter tires during the winter, so I am seeing if this is worth it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Walmart in canada is running an excellent promotion on 155 winter tires for $40 a tire. That's the cheapest I've ever seen winter tires. That being said, the suggested tires are 165. I'm pretty sure this is a difference of one inch (14-15)

Can I buy the inexpensive walmart tires? Would they fit on my rims or would I have to buy cheap metal ones? My soon to be insurer offers a discount for applying winter tires during the winter, so I am seeing if this is worth it.
    The 165 is in mm's. So the difference from 165 to 155 is 10mm and that is the width of the tire. If you want to know what fits then you need to know your stock wheel dimensions. Mine were 14x4.5". My current tires with my 15x6.5" wheels recommend a 6-7" wheel width for a proper fit. This is the inside size. The 185/55 is just my exterior dimensions... look at your actual wheel width and the tire's range for wheel fitment... I will say that the tires on the mirage are already under sized. Even the stock tires on the same car in Japan are 175 width. The second number is the % of the width as height. Long story short, use an online Calc or call tire rack and ask them what will fit your wheels. Go outside and write down everything your tires have written on the sidewall before you call them...
    Last edited by HitShane; 10-04-2016 at 08:35 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Spadesheart (10-04-2016)

I suspect those Walmart winter 155's are a 13 inch size. They won't fit a stock Mirage rim (14 inch).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Spadesheart (10-04-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    ah, you are right, they are 155 80 r 13 79. Feel kind of silly for not putting the inches together hahaha. I do think there is another on sale, at least in the flyer, as I remember everything but the 155 matching. I'll take another look tonight.

it looks like the closest they have on a 14 inch tire is a 175, which is $56. Worth it? By what HitShane said, the likelihood is these will fit, thought I will have to measure first.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/weatherm.../6000194101742

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    175/70/13 is an easier to find option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)