Thread: How wheel & tire size and style affect Mirage fuel economy/mileage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How wheel & tire size and style affect Mirage fuel economy/mileage

In New Zealand, just two Mirage models are offered: LS (base) and GLS, both with the CVT automatic transmission only.

They both have identical drivetrain/technical specifications, yet the LS has a better fuel economy rating than the GLS, burning 6.1% less fuel. Why? Mitsu points to the wheel/tire spec on the two cars as the culprit.

N.Z. AA explains:

the difference is a result of the variance in wheel sizes. Skinny 14-inch steel wheels are fitted to the LS models while the GLS versions are fitted with 15-inch alloy-wheel rims with slightly wider tyres.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...e-Association)
    (Off-topic... I think it's funny that they call the 165 width tire "skinny", but not the tire that's only 1cm wider. Duh.)

Mirage LS
    1.2 L
    CVT automatic
    Mirage GLS
    1.2 L
    CVT automatic
    Combined fuel economy: 4.6 L/100 km
    21.7 km/L
    51.1 mpg (US)
    4.9 L/100 km
    20.4 km/L
    48 mpg (US)
    Wheel & tire 14" Steel w/ Wheel Cover
    165/65R14
    15" Alloy
    175/55R15

How do different wheel /tire size and style cause the GLS to get worse fuel consumption?

• the slightly narrower tire will have a slightly better drag coefficient and smaller frontal area
    • that flat plastic 14 inch wheel cover is probably more aerodynamic than the open spoke alloy wheel
    • the different tires probably have different rolling resistance coefficients
    • the bigger alloy wheels & lower profile tires may have more of their mass concentrated further away from the rotation axis, which would need more power to accelerate

I haven't compared the overall diameter of the 2 tires, but I assume they're very close. If they're not, though, gearing could also be slightly affected.

UPDATE (Jul 11/2013):

Mitsubishi again points at wheel/tire choice and its effect on fuel consumption, this time regarding the new Mirage Sedan G4 / Attrage:

22 KM/LITER. (with 14 inch wheels) Having the lightest body weight, it isn’t surprising that the Mirage G4 has the lowest fuel consumption in its class. [...] Equipped with 15-inch wheels, the Mirage G4’s fuel efficiency is rated at 21 kpl.

source: http://business.inquirer.net/131241/...ry-chapter-two

---

FYI: here's a dramatic example of how these wheel size/style issues can affect fuel economy:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-13-2016),gone.a (02-08-2016),Matt (02-24-2013),socal6g (11-13-2013)