Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Line: Is the CVT Reliable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Bottom Line: Is the CVT Reliable?

I've done reading online, but I'll admit I'm still suspicious of them. I'd prefer the predictable reliability of a stick, but want the extra city mileage of the CVT (I live primarily in Austin--traffic city!)

want the extra city mileage of the CVT
    Despite its ratings, the CVT does not guarantee the best urban mileage. In fact, I would 100% buy the manual if that was my goal.

The EPA testing procedure handicaps the manual - it can get much better city/combined mileage than the numbers indicate.

See thread: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

And: Shift points: EPA testing of manual transmissions (why beating MT ratings is easier)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The particular model in the Mirage doesn't have any yes or no for reliability as it's a very light, low power application. However, JATCO CVTs have proven themselves to be extremely unreliable.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Despite its ratings, the CVT does not guarantee the best urban mileage. In fact, I would 100% buy the manual if that was my goal.

The EPA testing procedure handicaps the manual - it can get much better city/combined mileage than the numbers indicate.

See thread: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

And: Shift points: EPA testing of manual transmissions (why beating MT ratings is easier)
    So can the CVT.. I have a personal best of 72mpg (imp) in mine with no hyper mile behaviors
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I still average 37mpg on the manual. Shifting at 3k rpms. Mild-agressive driving.

I'm sure 40mpg average can be achieved with much lighter throttle input and shifting at 2k rpms. This is just not my kind of driving.

@OP: I wouldnt think too much about reliability as the warranty pretty much insures the tranny at 10years 100k miles - no?

But I agree with the logic stated above: light car with low hp means less stress on moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    So can the CVT.. I have a personal best of 72mpg (imp) in mine with no hyper mile behaviors
    It's too bad those local CVT owners didn't want to let me tag along for a comparison drive. I'm 100% confident the 5-speed would match or beat the CVT with the same rates of acceleration & cruising speed for a given city/combined trip. No fancy techniques -- just get into top gear as soon as practical.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm just worried what's going to happen if I get a CVT and at 120,000 miles the tranny needs replacing. Not quite as concerned about mileage when it comes to that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you drive 120,000 miles you will have saved enough on gas with the Mirage to get a new transmission.

If you have concerns, approaching the end of the 100,000 power train warranty would be a good time to sell the Mirage and look for a new vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    If you drive 120,000 miles you will have saved enough on gas with the Mirage to get a new transmission.

If you have concerns, approaching the end of the 100,000 power train warranty would be a good time to sell the Mirage and look for a new vehicle.
    That doesn't work since I plan to keep my car a long time. If a vehicle can't be expected to be reliable 100,000+, then it isn't paying for itself. My Previa has 263k on it and runs great (minus a bunch of little issues, which is what has me ready to jump ship to something more economical). But it amazes me how so many seem to be satisfied with sub-100,000-mile performance. To me, that simply doesn't make sense.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty joe View Post
    I've done reading online, but I'll admit I'm still suspicious of them. I'd prefer the predictable reliability of a stick, but want the extra city mileage of the CVT (I live primarily in Austin--traffic city!)
    You suggest you want the extra efficiency of the CVT, but prefer the reliability of the manual. Metro says the manual will get you the same city mpg's (and he would know), so problem solved. Get the manual.

I expect the CVT will be very reliable, but probably not as reliable as the manual after 10 years and 100,000 miles. I would get the CVT if I really didn't like shifting, or only had one good knee, or did mostly highway driving and wanted the high ratio there. The slight potential for CVT failure wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. Otherwise, manual is the way to go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)