Thread: mirage vs swift

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

mirage vs swift

Whilst my mirage was in the shop for panel repairs had the opportunity to drive a two year old Suzuki swift 1.4 4 sp auto.

While I only had it for four days it really made me appreciate how rubbish the mirage is.

Ie. Handling. While it did have bigger tires. (175/65/15) it felt solid and secure where as the mirage feels light and fidgety The steering is well weighted and steering response is precise and instant where as the mirage steering is too light and the response is ponderous and slow.

Cornering. The mirage has never liked corners. With lots of under steer, body roll and lots of uncontrolled and unexpected twitching of the chassis/suspension. Where as the swift felt composed. It cornered without drama. In a smooth flat controlled manner.

Transmission. Whilst I love the concep t of the CVT and I think the mirage has a great one. There have been a couple of times I made a rash decision and needed acceleration instantly and its not been available. Where as the swift instantly dropped down two cogs and was away. I also was suprised that it liked to try and maintain top gear as much as possible even around town.I could see that a lot of the time the torque converter was locked even around the 30 to 50 kph mark. Which would account for its good average around town fuel use is 6.5 l/100. Plus I was surprised I got 5.5l/100 on the one motorway trip I did (with three passengers).

Noise harshness and vibration. Honestly the swift felt a much bigger car. Definitely quieter and more isolated from road, suspension and engine noise. Mirage has alot more bump/thump from the suspension plus wind and road roar. And its got a loud engine, but I love the sound of the little mirage engine.

Interior...hated the swift. Too much black. Mirage interior definitely lifted by the large areas of cream on doors and dash. Tho swift does have a better stereo, with tweeters in the front pillar. Also the swift has a tiny boot. But does get a boot light.

Engine. I love the peppy three in the mirage and it has enough power. But the bigger engined swift has more instant power.

Overall while the swift is worth Approx $3000 nz more new. It really is a SOOOO much a better car.

I have sold my mirage......

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Did you replace it with a Swift?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Did you replace it with a Swift?
    No replacement planned yet. Moving overseas