Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    When I changed the CVT oil in my Mirage it was black and thick. I feel like you should change that one early after you buy one new. It runs much better after you change it.
    It definitely does. Hasn't fixed the cold weather fuel usage in the summer though. Much better though.

Oddly, I watched the oil come out, and while it wasn't the same colour as the stuff that went in, it actually wasn't black. wonder what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    It definitely does. Hasn't fixed the cold weather fuel usage in the summer though. Much better though.

Oddly, I watched the oil come out, and while it wasn't the same colour as the stuff that went in, it actually wasn't black. wonder what that means.
    What oil did you use? I used the mitsubishi stuff a few times(I think it was kinda blue iirc) but use a aftermarket stuff now that looks more like engine oil but stinks! When I drain it, it's usually dark-medium brown, not black. I jack up the back of the car to get a little extra drained out, measure how much I drained and then refill the same amount. Seems to work fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What oil did you use? I used the mitsubishi stuff a few times(I think it was kinda blue iirc) but use a aftermarket stuff now that looks more like engine oil but stinks! When I drain it, it's usually dark-medium brown, not black. I jack up the back of the car to get a little extra drained out, measure how much I drained and then refill the same amount. Seems to work fine.
    I used the mitsubishi fluid. While it isn't cheap, with the drop fill it isn't horribly expensive either. The stuff that came out was like a highlighter greeny brown. I was really expecting it to be darker, since I was actually at 75000 km when i changed it for the first time.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just did the math 6.57 l p100 kms mostly in town

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just can't break 65! Getting consistent upper 50s.

Unfortunately I'm no longer able to do fill too fill calculations for a while but the MID numbers are improving
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome!!! MPG ! I miss my Mirage! But I'm a Loyal Mitsubishi Owner. I have my New Outlander SE and my work car that I picked up that's in very Good Condition a 2001 Galant ESName:  IMG_2992.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  37.6 KB
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

68 mpg = 3.5 L/100 km trip

Name:  68-mpg-10kphtailwind-ktown-bvegas-3c.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  41.0 KB

^ Temps went above freezing this weekend, and that was the result of a 80 km / 50 mile drive at or near the 80 km/h speed limit.

Details: 3C / 37 F ambient, wet roads, 10 km/h / 6 mph tailwind. Lots of engine-off coasting in the sub/urban portions on either end of the trip, which probably represents 4-6 MPG of the total.

Of course, by the time I headed back, the windspeed had doubled and was now a 20 km/h headwind. The car reported 62 in the other direction.

2nd fill-up tomorrow. Computer says 60.5. Reality will say something else -- not expecting to break 60 on a tank just yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

RedRage (12-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mpg reading can be manipulated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMirage View Post
    The mpg reading can be manipulated.
    No manipulation here.
    Mirage ES 2019 CVT. Late August 2019 I've gotten it as high as 60 once on a slight downhill stretch without stepping on the gas for a while as I exited the freeway It returned to 58 shortly after reaching a stop light. That trip averaged about 58 on a 23-30 mile trip I recall. Clear skies (warm weather of course) and I don't recall the wind speed, lol but probably in my direction. Name:  IMG_20190830_074543.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  85.4 KB
    Last edited by highwire; 01-11-2020 at 01:21 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to highwire For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As much as I like the Avg mpg meter compared to my old car that didn't have one, I like to know the actual number of gallons added at the pump to compare every so often. By the end of a trip, I might have the mpg averaging 49-54mpg, but knowing my entire tank average between fillups appears to give a better average. I will mention that the climate in my state, at least in the "heat" of winter , is much colder than the South, though not as cold as Canada, and yet I still got some great fuel economy. I started my last tank at 7664.5 miles, and ended at 7995.0 miles, for a total of 330.5 miles driven. My receipt shows I filled 7.183gallons, the most I ever filled, because usually I wait til 33% or sometimes at 25%. With a tank of 9.2 gallons, I had approximately 21.92% of my tank remaining, even though the remaining miles meter said I had between 30-40miles towards the end of my trip, before filling the tank (I was averaging 51+mpg by the odometer at the time.)
    This leads me to believe that the tank, being a new car, has a sensor that is either conservative and counting only the 2nd to the last gallon- 9.2gallons -7.183 is 2.017 gallons remaining, which if the mpg meter was accurate ((51mpg it said) suggest I had 102mpg remaining if I based it on how many gallons were re-added to the tank. However, I understand that when filling up gas, the pump might splash gas in the tank and the sensor might think the side of the tank is more full than it's actual capacity if i pump at full speed. If I let it pump on its own and let it slow down, perhaps there isn't a wave in the tank causing the sensor to think it is already full. So that is a substantial variable.

That said, I probably filled up the tank back to 9.2 gallons if the sensor stopped the pumped close to the actual limit and the car reserves an extra gallon beyond the fuel mete. There was only one square remaining and it switched between 30-40miles remaining, which suggested it probably had between 1-2 gallons to go. ( I think it was closer to 2 gallons, but I have no way of knowing- with a newer car, the gas is unlijely to be dirty with contaminants so the sensor could just be intentionally omitting 40-50 miles as emergency fuel.

The amazing thing is that I got 46.01 driving the speed limit on roads where it is usually between 45-55 speed limit. Also the weather was 10-30 degrees Farenheit most days in the morning drive and 20-40 degrees (F) in the afternoon. 7 days between a fill up and approximately 10 trips of 33 miles each. I did not use the receipts to calculate my mileage when I bought it in the summer months, but I am very curious to know my mileage 4-5 months from now because from what I read, most drivers get better mileage in the warmer weather (just not too hot). So if I average 50 miles a gallon in the summer, and my odometer was showing around 54-55 in the summer months sometimes, then perhaps I can subtract 4-5mpg from the odometer mpg to estimate my supposedly more accurate fillup mileage. Of the 10 trips, I would say 6 of them required warming the car at least a minute, and 3 of them warming over 5 minutes- also because I was clearing the windows of ice, rather than necessity of idling the car.
    Name:  IMG_20200107_152152.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  84.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200114_150825.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200114_153940.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  86.7 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-01-14-15-12-59.png
Views: 540
Size:  36.1 KB

Knowing there are several variables- oil quality/level, tire pressure, I can imagine a little bit of variablity, but I expect to get at least 46mpg in the summer. It's nice to know how well it performs in the colder days (not the coldest- it was -20 one day last year, so that is nearly 30 degrees lower than the winter so far (fortunately, i did not have to drive last year every day during that winter).

Last edited by highwire; 01-14-2020 at 09:44 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to highwire For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-14-2020)