Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dealer overfilled oil

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Since it's not possible to keep every car overnight at oil change places, we just fill to full and you're good to go. Being just over the line isn't going to hurt anything.
    I had problem with overfilling the oil especially when the seal don't work fine. On my Galant I had oil leaked all over my spark plug compartment and car stutters. The pressure went pretty high if you ocassionally accelerate up to the red lines (I'm quite the sporty type driver).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The oil on sparkplug wells is pretty common for pretty much any engine where the spark plug is in the center of the combustion chamber. On my old I6 , the spark plugs are on the side of the head pretty much, away from the valve cover and no problems. On my Focus, the spark plugs are in the valve cover and if it leaks (which it did) the spark plug wells will get full of oil (which they did).

Only real issue is when I changed the plugs, all of that oil dropped down in to the cylinder. Made a puff of smoke!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Question: Where are the spark plugs?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Question: Where are the spark plugs?

They are underneath the 3 square boxes that are bolted on top of the valve cover. Those square boxes are the ignition coils.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    The oil on sparkplug wells is pretty common for pretty much any engine where the spark plug is in the center of the combustion chamber. On my old I6 , the spark plugs are on the side of the head pretty much, away from the valve cover and no problems. On my Focus, the spark plugs are in the valve cover and if it leaks (which it did) the spark plug wells will get full of oil (which they did).

Only real issue is when I changed the plugs, all of that oil dropped down in to the cylinder. Made a puff of smoke!
    I didn't know that. Why does my car stutter at low rpm then?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    I didn't know that. Why does my car stutter at low rpm then?

If you are talking about at idle then that is a common trait of a 3 cylinder motor. They are inherently unbalanced and will never idle perfectly smooth due to the firing order and too few cylinders to smooth things out. This is why most manufactures have started using balance shafts in just about any motor that has less than 6 cylinders (a straight 6 motor is about as smooth as you can get, mathematically speaking).
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So what about if its 2 inches over? I was out of state so my wife took the car to a $20 oil change place and i'm guessing they put 5 quarts in. I would like to take it to the dealership its about a mile away and their prices are super cheap with the coupons they send me, $26 for full synthetic and genuine mitsu filters. However the service writer is so dam rude that I feel white hot rage every-time I go to that dealership.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrero View Post
    So what about if its 2 inches over? I was out of state so my wife took the car to a $20 oil change place and i'm guessing they put 5 quarts in. I would like to take it to the dealership its about a mile away and their prices are super cheap with the coupons they send me, $26 for full synthetic and genuine mitsu filters. However the service writer is so dam rude that I feel white hot rage every-time I go to that dealership.
    That is about how far over it was when my incident happened.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I had mine overfilled, I cracked the filter loose and collected the oil that slowly drained out into a clean plastic bottle. It goes slow enough to easily tighten the filter back up so the oil stops flowing, and you can check the oil level on the dipstick. This way you can both measure how much they overfilled your engine by, and you can pour some oil back in if you drain out too much. A third bonus is that you now have some extra oil to add if your dipstick reads low, or for your mower, or your bike chain, or your door hinges...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Contact Mitsubishi about the rude service writer and explain to them you want to have your car dealer maintained but he is preventing this.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)