Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dealer overfilled oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    I guess I was spoiled by my previous car a smart fortwo where the filter stuck out the back like a bee stinger or I'm just getting old but I'm installing hayden filter relocate kit to get it up on the firewall so with my "oil sucker" I can do a full change without touching a jack or skinning my knuckles....when I get the brass fittings in I'll finish my diy pictorial.
    Is it OK to relocate the oil filter to a location higher than the stock position? I was under the impression that for an oil filter relocation, one would want to keep it at either the same height or below?

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Is it OK to relocate the oil filter to a location higher than the stock position? I was under the impression that for an oil filter relocation, one would want to keep it at either the same height or below?

-Charlie-
    You can buy a kit to relocate the filter. People do relocations for ease of oil changes, larger filter surface area or dual filtration. I've seen relocates that are mounted clear up on the inner fender right at the hood level. The biggest advantage is it allows you to pendant mount the filter which makes oil changes less messy.

Have you thought about just running a larger filter instead? I use a Hastings LF486 which is larger than the standard filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

-Charlie-
    It's Ok as long as it's not more than a few inches, the primary thing to consider is the filter have a good anti drain back valve, this will keep the oil from draing/syphoning back to the engine, if I get valve clatter that lasts more than a few seconds I'd look at getting it lower,or buying a better quality filter.
    Edited to add:

Here is the post where I install the remote kit, I had to mount it way high up on the firewall, no problems.
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...r-mounting-kit
    Last edited by strawboss; 04-24-2016 at 10:30 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    wow same thing happened to me at Coconut Creek Mitsubishi. I was ready home and so I drained off approx. one quart then sent email to service manager they refunded my money. know I put a dot of paint on oil filter and check the oil before I leave dealer. total agree cant trust the dealers