Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealer overfilled oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Dealer overfilled oil

So I come from the VW TDI world where it is a rule that you never EVER let a Stealership touch your car... unless you just like things done improperly.

BUT I got a free oil change with the purchase of the Mirage, and the dealer is a very large conglomerate dealer with all branches of Chrysler, plus Hyundai and Mitsu, and upon questioning, they were very knowledgeable and upfront about having and using the proper Mitsu 0w20, etc, etc, so I felt fine letting them do the initial change.

I got back in town today from being gone on a business trip all week, and just had this feeling that I should check the oil before I fired it up, just in case they had left the drain plug slightly loose and it had leaked out while it had been sitting all week.

I pulled the dipstick out, and my head cocked... and i wiped and rechecked, and wiped and rechecked. It is way overfilled. I am guessing a full quart. I'm not super worried about it, but it's the principle of it. I just don't understand why you can't trust a dealer. Now I have to get up early and be there first thing in the morning to get it fixed. Again, on principle alone. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to deal with them...uggh

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh man, sorry to hear! This is exactly why when I bought my Mirage (car I actually care about!), I decided right then and there I would do as much as possible of the work myself. Remember, no one will be as careful on your car except you since you own it.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also took advantage of that first free oil change at the dealer. And just like you, my oil reads too high on the dipstick. I would have gone back, but my dealer is 90 miles from my home.

Maybe there is an error in the service instructions from Mitsubishi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So how much oil do these motors take? I saw a YouTube video that said 3 quarts. Is that true?
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    3L, plus 200mL for the oil filter, so a bit more than 3qt. Never had problems with the dealer overfilling the engine on this car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've heard of many stores of this kind of work being done. Its best to check it before you go. Excess oil will lead to worse mileage due to churning/windage of the oil. Worst case, it aerates the oil and that leads to faster engine wear, not good.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-15-2016)

Look on the bright side... drain out the extra quart and in 2 more oil changes you get enough for another free one!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-14-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sorry to see that . I'd get it taken care of . We've had O.C.s done with no oil ( '86 Nova ( Corolla ) to 6 quarts for a '99 Chevy Prizm ( Corolla ) . Both take 4 quarts . I always check oil level and oil filter since then .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's very rare that cars take less than 4 quarts. The tech probably didn't notice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's no surprise. I'm still deciding between doing it myself at risk of having trouble with the warranty or go free with the stealership. They just do not care, it's not their money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)