Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattling Noise After Cold Start With A/C On

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    If you can play that video on your phone then do that, if it doesn't make any noise. Then you have proof of exactly what it is doing, and you can also tell them that yours is not the only one doing it.
    Yes, I'll definitely play the video for them. I'll even let the car there the whole day so that they can try once it cools down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mechanic at the dealership tried one from the lot and it did the exact same noise. His explanation agrees with 91cavt:

...it sounds like an A/C compressor starting up without oil in it.
    He said that it looks like something "normal" in some of these new Mirages. BTW, the noise has happened with less frequency in the past days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    The mechanic at the dealership tried one from the lot and it did the exact same noise. His explanation agrees with 91cavt:

He said that it looks like something "normal" in some of these new Mirages. BTW, the noise has happened with less frequency in the past days.

Thanks for the update. It might just be one of those things that once the compressor gets broken in, it won't make the noise anymore. Only time will tell.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wanted to bump this old thread. My ac compressor also makes a short rattling noise for a half second or so durring ac compressor engagement. The noise is repeatable by manually turning the ac on and off. It isn't very loud so only heard at idle or slow driving and I've never heard it in other cars.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Wanted to bump this old thread. My ac compressor also makes a short rattling noise for a half second or so durring ac compressor engagement. The noise is repeatable by manually turning the ac on and off. It isn't very loud so only heard at idle or slow driving and I've never heard it in other cars.
    I can say that the noise has stopped on my mirage. I hactually ran the a.c. today and it made no noise. My mirage now has over 26k miles on it. I am betting this noise occurs during compressor break in and stops once the compressor is fully broken in. Is your mirage a new one?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can say that the noise has stopped on my mirage. I hactually ran the a.c. today and it made no noise. My mirage now has over 26k miles on it. I am betting this noise occurs during compressor break in and stops once the compressor is fully broken in. Is your mirage a new one?

30K miles on it. But not sure how often previous owner used the AC. Ill see if it goes away with more and more use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll check on mine. In upstate New York we haven't used the AC in months by now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Doesn't using the defrost button run the A/C compressor to remove moisture from the cabin air?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Doesn't using the defrost button run the A/C compressor to remove moisture from the cabin air?
    Yes it does.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    You're right!