Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattling Noise After Cold Start With A/C On

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rattling Noise After Cold Start With A/C On

Mi Mirage has done a short rattling noise sometimes. It occurs right after a cold start and if the A/C is on. I think it could come from the A/C compressor, the belt or the radiator fan. Although probably it's a temporary "glitch" due to new parts adjusting, I'll take to the dealer if it keeps happening.

Here's a video with the noise. You can hear it right at 0:07, then the fan starts. What do you guys think?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    A/C compressor clutch? Maybe an idler pulley?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    A/C compressor clutch? Maybe an idler pulley?
    Probably. I'll take a closer look next time I catch the noise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I may have been having this also lately. Will look into it also.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    its the ac compessor turning on

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Didnt notice anything when cold-started today, ac on and all. Weird.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Didnt notice anything when cold-started today, ac on and all. Weird.
    It doesn't happen all the times for me.

Will get it to the dealer tomorrow.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Mi Mirage has done a short rattling noise sometimes. It occurs right after a cold start and if the A/C is on. I think it could come from the A/C compressor, the belt or the radiator fan. Although probably it's a temporary "glitch" due to new parts adjusting, I'll take to the dealer if it keeps happening.

Here's a video with the noise. You can hear it right at 0:07, then the fan starts. What do you guys think?

Mine does the exact same thing. I too have been wondering about it. To me, it sounds like an A/C compressor starting up without oil in it. If it was coming from the belt, you would hear a squeal, not a rattle. The only way it could be the radiator fan is if there is either something physically touching the fan blades or if the motor bearings are bad. However, if it was the fan then you would hear the same noise every time the fan turned on. I am convinced it is coming from the compressor.

btw, I used to work as a mechanic. I've got 3 ASE certifications and I worked a LOT on A/C systems every summer.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

R01k (06-30-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Mine does the exact same thing. I too have been wondering about it. To me, it sounds like an A/C compressor starting up without oil in it. If it was coming from the belt, you would hear a squeal, not a rattle. The only way it could be the radiator fan is if there is either something physically touching the fan blades or if the motor bearings are bad. However, if it was the fan then you would hear the same noise every time the fan turned on. I am convinced it is coming from the compressor.

btw, I used to work as a mechanic. I've got 3 ASE certifications and I worked a LOT on A/C systems every summer.
    Today in the morning it did it again. Analyzing the characterestics and circumstances of the noise, I'm almost convinced that it's coming from the A/C compressor. I was thinking of the clutch, but your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Let's hope that it happens at the dealer tomorrow.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Today in the morning it did it again. Analyzing the characterestics and circumstances of the noise, I'm almost convinced that it's coming from the A/C compressor. I was thinking of the clutch, but your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Let's hope that it happens at the dealer tomorrow.

If you can play that video on your phone then do that, if it doesn't make any noise. Then you have proof of exactly what it is doing, and you can also tell them that yours is not the only one doing it.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.